PDA

View Full Version : New post icon

prr
5th July 2001, 13:55
Previosly new messages icon meant new messages since last read. Now it means smth else...
Should it be this way?

impact
6th July 2001, 06:10
What? The new message icon still means that there are new messages that you haven't read since last visit... it's the yellow arrow on a blue pad.

prr
6th July 2001, 06:37
Unfortuately for me the icons do not depend on my last visit/read.
The threads are marked to contain new posts even if they shouldn't :(

Maggi
6th July 2001, 07:12
it makes a difference whether you're logged in or not ... ;)

Alec
6th July 2001, 07:54
Nice avatar, Maggi! Your are now my buddy.:D

Maggi
6th July 2001, 08:01
Originally posted by Alec
Nice avatar, Maggi! Your are now my buddy.:D

Dare you saying that, after you delivered me ... :p

prr
6th July 2001, 08:54
it makes a difference whether you're logged in or not ... ;)

Do I understand correctly -- to see new messages icon correctly, I have to log out and then on again?
But it is so inconvenient, 'cause I don't like to log in and out every time I check the board. Also I haven't met any log-in screen elsewhere than before message post :confused:

What am I missing?

Maggi
6th July 2001, 08:58
http://forums.murc.ws/ ...

bottom right corner > login ... ;)

how could the board distinguish between all "not logged in" users if you have an option to disable cookies ?

Once you're logged in, everything should be like you set it up in your User CP

prr
6th July 2001, 09:12
http://forums.murc.ws/ ...
bottom right corner > login ... ;)

First of all, I never come to the forum via forums.murc.ws, but via MURC homepage, that has direct links to forums. So I do not meet the first page, that seems to be the only one that has log in/out functionality.

From user preferences I choosed automatic log on and I have cookies enabled. But when I come back, the messages I read are still "new".

How can I set up automatic log in/out?

Maggi
6th July 2001, 09:16
Originally posted by prr
How can I set up automatic log in/out?

it's also in User CP > Edit Options ... ;)

RTFM, I'd say ... :p

prr
6th July 2001, 09:26
it's also in User CP > Edit Options

Maggi,

As I sayd, I have the automatic log in enabled.
Whenever I come to board I am logged in.
Just the new mail thingie does not work!

I have already read all the FMs I found ;)

Let's make it simple:
I open browser and forums main page. I see "welcome back, prr".
I choose view new posts (get number of them).
I close browser and reopen it at forums main page. I choose again new posts. Should see none or few ones created during these few seconds. But I see everything I saw previously.
What am I doing wrong?

If I manually log out and back in, everything works.

From all that it seems that some cookies, that should expire on browser close, simply do not.

Maggi
6th July 2001, 09:44
oh ... ok, no clue what's going wrong then ... :(

Alec
6th July 2001, 09:51
Dare you saying that, after you delivered me ...

Sorry, Maggi, but I didnīt understand.:(

Maggi
6th July 2001, 09:57
LOL ... sorry, what I meant was that you dared calling my a buddy after deliviring me to a jail, where obviously my avatar picture was taken ... :D

clear now ?

:)

Alec
6th July 2001, 10:08
Yes, I understood it later on, but I waited for you to post a reply just to make sure...

...and also, to deliver (from the noun DELIVERANCE) means to free somebody, paradoxically...

Maggi
6th July 2001, 10:11
hehehe ... didn't know that meaning of it ... :D

to me it was always the meaning of "bringing something to a place and leave it there", like "delivering a pizza" or something.

Cheers,
Maggi

impact
6th July 2001, 12:19
prr, by any chance are you behind a proxy? If so, try refreshing the page byt hitting CTRL+F5 or by holding down CTRL and clicking the refresh button in your browser.

prr
6th July 2001, 12:28
I am indeed behind the proxy, but it does not matter. If it was because of the proxy, I couldn't see new messages also, but I can. the messages are nicely resorted, too.
Also, all other forums function great, inluding MURC forum last version.

impact
6th July 2001, 12:34
well then I think you might have to enter the forums via the forum front page.... the forums.murc.ws, as everytime you enter it, the forum *should* adjust everything read/unread accordingly...

prr
6th July 2001, 12:38
Entering via first page doesn't matter as You can see from the sample in my earlier post :(

impact
6th July 2001, 12:38
Oh I think I have it...

you wrote:

Let's make it simple:
I open browser and forums main page. I see "welcome back, prr".
I choose view new posts (get number of them).
I close browser and reopen it at forums main page. I choose again new posts. Should see none or few ones created during these few seconds. But I see everything I saw previously.
What am I doing wrong?

---

That would mean that it shows new posts for each session you're logged in. You aren't doing anything wrong. When you're done reading all the new messages, just go to the front page and click MARK ALL FORUMS READ... all the NEW POST icons will go away and you can start refreshing waiting for people to respond to your posts...

I hope that wasn't very confusing...

prr
6th July 2001, 12:50
Yes, I know, that works. As well as logging out and back in.
But why I have to choose mark all read if I really read everything. And since the first message I read there might be new postings meanwhile. So if I choose mark all read, it will mark these messages as well...
This forum software seems to much more powerful than the previous one, why the H it can't handle so simple thing :(

impact
6th July 2001, 15:03
You have a point there.... but the weird thing is it works for some of us.