Kyro II experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyro II experts

While staying solid with Marvel G200s on our "home office" machines, when the time came to build a new home theatre/gaming machine, we went for the Videologic Vivid!XS allied with an Asus A7Ve mobo, AMD Duron 800, 256 Mb generic memory, Hercules game theater XP, Maxtor diamondmax 40 gig hard drive and a Hauppauge WinTV card for TV. Unfortunately it doesn't work...
    The Vivid fails dxdiag D3D hardware tests and AGP tests, the Hauppauge won't take primary or overlay, just Dibdraw which is awful. PowerDVD won't give pictures, gives me a DirectDraw error. I haven't even tried loading a 3D game yet.

Following several leads here I put in the 4.32 Via 4 in 1 drivers, DirectX8.0a, then 8.1 beta, fiddled with shadow and AGP 4x settings (don't seem to be able to turn it off with this bios, just change it's settings) all to no avail.

Anyone any ideas?

I'm seriously considering slotting my Marvel G200 PCI back in just so we can watch TV again (We ditched an ordinary TV for a presentation monitor, Marvel G200 and a Hauppauge card several years ago).

Any input would be welcome,
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Now let´s see...

To ensure that your KyroII works properly, it´s always wise to do a fresh OS reinstall.

Some settings must be tweaked on the bios, otherwise it´s a pain to get it working:

- Set AGP to 2x (Do it KyroII doesn´t do more than 2X). Try 1x also, if you´re having troubles with 2x.
    - Disable FastWrites
    - Set AGP driving value to auto
    - Disable all kind of video/RAM cacheing/shadowing
    - Set video memory cache to UC (very important)
    - Pay attention to overclocked AGP bus
    - Try different AGP apperture size values

Try installing Hercules 7.114a drivers. You can do it on the VDO board. I think they fixed something about overlay.

I have a A7V133, TB 1Ghz @ 7*144fsb/144 2-2-2 memory, Hercules 4500 64 Mb, and it works fine (now)

Comment

Ok, thanks Nuno, I'll try those when I get home tonight. I've got the mobo maual with me though, and I can't find anywhere that allows me to change to AGP2x or 1x, just the "AGP 4x Drive Strength [Auto]" and the "AGP Fast Write [Disabled]" options.

I forgot to say it's a fresh install of W98SE with nothing overclocked (bus at 100Mhz, 133 memory at 133Mhz)
      Dave
      Don't make me angry...

Comment

PowerDVD

I also have problems with KyroII and PowerDVD 3.0. I use 1280x1024x32 at 85Hz refresh as my working resolution but I het an error with that. For watching movies with PowerDVD I have to change resolution to 1024x768x32 at 100Hz.
        Live long and prosper!

Comment

Don´t worry the option is there... Now that you´ve mentioned it I took a look at the A7V133 manual and the option isn´t listed on it also... LOL crazy Asus guys

It´s a must to set AGP to 2X in the bios and Video to UC, I´ve seen several people reporting trouble with Kyro on Asus Via boards with these settings on.

Comment

MURC does it again!!

Not content with sorting out Matrox cards, we now sort out Kyros, well Nuno does anyway
            I couldn't find the AGP2x force in the bios but I followed all your other suggestions, switched AGP aperture to 256Mb from the 32Mb default and everything works. Whether it was all the other upgrades and tweaks + the aperture switch or just that, I don't know (I don't plan on going back to test it), but changing the aperture setting was one of your suggestions- so you fixed it for me . The WinTV can now do primary(but not overlay) with a fantastic picture. PowerDVD now gives a picture. It passes the dxdiag tests, everything is AOK.
            Nuno is: KyroMaster
            Thanks guys, you did it again
            MURC rules!
            Can anyone tell I'm in a good mood tonight?
            It might have something to do with the fact that my 30 week pregnant wife, (who paid for this new system that I researched and recommended) now feels she got a working system rather than a pile of junk.
            Dave
            Don't make me angry...

Comment

I'm with you there Dave. 30 Weeks is a time when you want to keep them happy
              FT.

Comment

You´re welcome

Just glad you got it working. KyroII are good boards but unfortunetly there seems to be some instalation problems to be sorted out...

Comment

Nuno, don't tell me about it.

It's a excellent board if you are playing Q3, UT, Serious Sam, HL (CS, TFC), etc, etc. But If you play more recent games like Battle for Dune (almost no overdraw in that game though + it's highly optimized for T&L) the fps goes thru the floor.

Hey but it's not that bad to have the fastest card around if you play UT. 1024x768x32 with FSAA 4X enabled is quite playable.

Comment

Hi Dave,

try More TV for your WinTV card ...

It's free and pretty powerfull in features, quality, performance and if you grab a key file, it'll offer even moro options ...

Cheers,
                    Maggi
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                    X