Hard Drive Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Speed

Is there a marked difference in performance between a 7200 and a 5200 hard drive.

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

A fast 5400 can be faster then a slow 7200 it all depends on the HD model and manufacturer!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

The main area where a 7200 RPM drive will almost always beat a 5400 RPM drive is in sequantial data reads/writes. Random write all over the disk may not show up the different as much.

Comment

Correct.

The main things of interest when selecting a video drive, or drives for inclusion in a RAID array, are the sustained sequential write and read speeds.

The write is the most important as the reads are almost always faster than the write numbers.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you all for the info.

SteveC, I have relatives living in your part of the world ("South-End-On-Mud". I have been there a few yeare ago and I realy like the place.

Regards to all,

Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie

SteveC, I have relatives living in your part of the world ("South-End-On-Mud". I have been there a few yeare ago and I realy like the place.
            Cool! Another sarfender! You must be a bit mad though to 'really like the place' There's a few people in this forum from around here I believe - small world eh?

Comment

Hi SteveC,

OK if you say so, after all I've only seen the place through the bottom of a glass.

Regards,

Debbie

Comment

Working...
              X