Video Capture Choice: Help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Capture Choice: Help me out

Ok I am running a Celeron II 566 @ 952 and Win2k pro. I am looking to choose between these two capture devices. I have confirmed that both have Win2k
    support and drivers. Any options for or against either? If so why is one better than the other choice. thx guys

http://www.provideo.com.tw/PV256.htm $160 Online

or

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/html/pvrusb.htm - $199.00 locally
    Last edited by pr-guy; 3 July 2001, 17:12.
    Celeron II 566 @ 952 at 1.8v, Abit BE6 rev 1.01, 192 megs PC133, 20 gig WD UMDA-66, 6X Toshiba DVD-rom, Matrox G450 DDR 32 meg AGP, SBlive Value, HP 7200i CD-RW, etc etc on Win2k

Neither.

The first is not common enough to properly evaluate.

The second is known to have unresolved driver and quality issues.

At this point buying MPEG-1/2 capture devices is fraught with risk. Very few, if any at all, deliver as good a quality as you can get by encoding high quality MJPeg or raw YUV video with the freeware TMPGEnc encoder.

I'd look at cards capable of YUV or YUY2 capture (uncompressed video). These, along with a capture program like AVI_IO, give you far more capture options and the ability to use many different compressors during your captures (MPEG, MJPeg, DivX etc. etc.) as long as you have the codec installed.

For MJPeg this would mean something like the PICVideo or Morgan software MJPeg codecs. For MPEG one can use the MPEG encoders built into VideoStudio or MediaStudio Pro for capture. Examples;

WinTV 401
    WinTV 495
    Matrox eTV (great for its DVDMax mode that allows export to tape of about anything MediaPlayer can play)
    etc.

These devices do work in Win2K.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 July 2001, 17:29.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

well i heard a few good things about the PV-256. Im really looking for something that will capture mpeg-2
      Celeron II 566 @ 952 at 1.8v, Abit BE6 rev 1.01, 192 megs PC133, 20 gig WD UMDA-66, 6X Toshiba DVD-rom, Matrox G450 DDR 32 meg AGP, SBlive Value, HP 7200i CD-RW, etc etc on Win2k

Comment

Good morning, good evening, and good night.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Thx Dr. Mordrid, I guess my problem is that being so new to video editing I really dont know what kind of hardware to get period and its kinda like drawing for straws I appreciate your help. Hehe wish someone could get pinnacle off their A@@ to make a driver for the DC10+ that does MJPEG and is only $99 now.

thanks again

Comment

Well, that gadget has a pretty high tag on it and not having heard much of it I'm hesitant to recommend it. Most of my experience with MPEG encoder cards is jaded by having used offline encoding so much with good result, especially the TMPGEnc (free) and CinemaCraft ($$) encoders.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hello,

I noticed you have a G450 already. If possible, can you exchange that for a G450-eTV? It really is a nice, complete package that allows growth.

If not, I would recommend getting a WinTV card along with a beginner video editing suite (like Ulead's VideoStudio 5.0 DVD Edition). There are plenty of WinTV cards to choose from, so know what you want before buying. I have had great results with the WinTV-Radio and WinTV-Go+FM (using the PIC MJPEG codec or Huffyuv). The difference is that the WinTV-Radio captures stereo TV. For the most part, Not really a big deal considering I capture from S-Video (the audio-in is a pass through cable direct to your sound card so that is uneffected).

As a side note, the PVR is more for those looking for making a home entertainment PC. The MPEG files look very good using the early drivers (12Mb/s is fantastic quality).

Also, consider getting a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card instead of the SBLive. The SBLive caused me about a year of problems/workarounds. Since changing to the TB, everything is great.

Hope this all helps.

Comment

You are using a fairly slow CPU under conditions (high speed, low voltage) which may cause problems with software capture, which has to make the CPU work super-hard. Don't be too surprised if your system goes on strike from time to time.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Dr. Mordrid, I have looked at the WinTV cards but they all do such low resolutions, unless I am reading the specs wrong?

Comment

hmm so i could pick up a wintv pci or wintv theater and then just use a mjpeg codec? anyone know where i can look at some quality samples?

Comment

Take a look at the following site and contained forums:
                      Video forums, video software downloads, guides, blu-ray players and media.

There are lots of WinTV users over there.

As far as high res, you can use AVI_IO or similar to set custom frame sizes.

Comment

I have a WinTV Radio and it can capture full PAL/NTSC resolution, regardless of what Hauppauge states.
                        A few example shots of an MJPEG capture I did in 768x576 can be seen at

Note that
                        a. the signal quality of my TV-line is not very good, so the image unfortunately is a bit grainy even on a regular TV
                        b. This is a (lossy) MJPEG capture and those pictures are converted to a JPEG afterwards for size reasons, so there is jpg-compression involved two times, which is always a bad thing. Quality is better with HuffYUV captures, of course.
                        Last edited by Indiana; 7 July 2001, 12:50.
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

question, would it be better to just install a minimal install on my win2k machine and pick up a mpeg2 capture and and just use it in win98? are their any good mpeg2 capture devices out there for less than $120?

Comment

back to the original choice, i think it really depends on what you want to do with your captures.

if you want to use the card to capture several tv programs a week from your cable system, it would work fine. If you are capturing your favorite movie from your digital satellite system that you will watch a hundred times on your big screen tv, you'll want to capture to huff and encode to mpeg using cinemacraft or tmpgenc.

I have cable and my captures look poor before I even compress them.

Comment

Working...
                            X