Am I the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one?

Am I the only one in this forum that has decided that this "g550" that is "coming out this summer" is not the type of card that was wanted, and as a result, will not make the purchase?

Somehow, I have come to the conclusion that I have no way of justifying the cost(im sure more than $200USD) of purchasing a new video card that will only outperform my present video card marginally. somehow I dont see the advantage to adding features, such as displacement mappig, that will only slow down the card even more.

Whats everyones general thoughts on this conclusion? Im not a hardcore gamer, but Id like to be able to get respectable frame rates at 1280x1024 resolution. Im not a hardcore graphics guy, but Id like to be able to render in Pro Engineer without the video card choking. Somehow I dont see this new card being able to fullfill this.

my other option is this verclock like there's no tomorrow. Whats the highest clock anyone has ever gotten on their G400MAX? Im out to beat it. Lets see what happens.
    First Love:
    • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
    • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
    • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
    • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
    • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
    • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
    • Pineapples

Second Love:
    1990 Toyota Celica GT

As long as theres only speculation I for one wont make any decisions - thats all there is to say.
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

Comment

I don't know how you can write off a product even before it's announced, or a spec sheet published.. I usually base any decision on fact and not rumour... to each their own, you know your own needs better than anyone else...

As for the rumoured G550, I'd give it a shot as long as its around the speed of an GF MX2 variant, and isn't prohibitively priced...
      All which remains to be seen...
      So I wait patiently, the G400DH I have now is purring along happily...

Opinions by,
      Craig

------------------
      P3-700e cB0 @980Mhz - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus P2b Rev. 1.10 /w MSI slocket - 128Mb PC100 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500
      1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

If it beats the Kyro2 I have on order in all the _important_ areas, I'll get it. The important areas are as follows:

2D quality
        Win2k/SMP stability
        3D _QUALITY_ (not speed)
        Cool features
        3D speed

In that order.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

hmmm well if the next gen matrox card is gonna produce the same amount of trouble with my VIA chipset mobo, that the G400 did, i´m likely to stick with my MX card for gaming purposes!

cursed be my impatience
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Depends on how bad my G400 is sagging by the time the card is available.

amish
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I still believe that matrox is selling themselves short if they are going to introduce a card that is not the top of the line. despites its lack of performance, the G400Max was competing with the tnt2 ultra when it came out, right?

Well, if this card does come out anytime soon, I dont anticipate myself receiving it with open arms considering that they havent released a "new" card in like 2 years. If it is GF2mx arena, then I woulda expected its release a year ago. I guess I just know they can do better, and im dissapointed they are shooting for something so low.

whatever. we'll see.
              First Love:
              • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
              • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
              • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
              • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
              • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
              • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
              • Pineapples

Second Love:
              1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

Just because the G550 probably won't be a "GeForce Killer" doesn't mean Matrox doesn't have anything up their sleeves Like the interview said, "...we have over 400 engineers devoted to cutting edge graphics research and we will continue to lead and bring innovative new products to market."

After all, didn't ATi sit dormant in the 'high end 3D' market for several years before they came up with the Readon?

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I am heartily sick of hearing people "hint" about what Matrox may (or may not) have "up their sleeves".

It's not even a "hint". Some cryptic info would be a "hint". This continual data-free mumbo-jumbo is practically an open invitation to visit la-la land for a nice vacation.

I actually do suspect that there's something hugely cool "in the works", but[list=1][*] if it was even remotely near completion they could/would leak something;[*] if the design spec was stable enough to believe that it could be viably produced at some point, they could/would leak something;[*] My experience with Matrox's cautious nature doesn't encourage me to believe that when all they will "hint" at is "We're working on something really really cool" but nothing more, that they're feeling confident of getting this alleged design to market in a reasonable timeframe.[/list=a]

Sorry, Jammrock, I'm just not buying this "hinting" crap.

But then again, so what? It's only a video card, after all.

--------------------------
                  Holly

Comment

Holly, don't you think that people that know anything (under NDA or not) might be a bit wary about hinting too much because it could piss off M ? If Matrox would approve of hinting, they would do it themselves.

And there could be numerous reasons why they don't hint... here are just a few:

- the market situation can change, forcing them to adapt product specs, upsetting people if they leaked info before the changes, because the final product will be different than what people expected
                    - the product can be delayed because of various reasons, also disappointing people if they got some 'leaked' release date
                    - they want the least possible info to leak to the competition, giving them an advantage over them because they won't be able to adjust their strategy (or at least try to delay the leaking as long as possible)

and of course there are various other reasons which I didn't think of right now. You might answer: people that hear leaked specs shouldn't complain about any changes made to the specs before product launch, but unfortunately that's not the way it works.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">hmmm well if the next gen matrox card is gonna produce the same amount of trouble with my VIA chipset mobo, that the G400 did, i´m likely to stick with my MX card for gaming purposes!</font>
                      You mean like the first Geeforced has with newer via chipsets?
                      System 1:
                      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                      Epox 8K7A
                      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                      SBLIVE 5.1
                      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                      3Com Hardware Modem
                      Teac 20/10/40 burner
                      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Right on DuRaNgO!!!! I always thought it was the other way around too....

I always thought it was the trouble Via had with everyones Graphics Cards.

Paul
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

..... and soundcards.... and ide

Comment

....acpi...smp...usb...
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I dont think the specs published are right, because i dont think matrox would add displacement mapping.
                              since it pushes up the polygon-count to incredible heights, there would be no sense in adding it to anything slower than a gf2pro, maybe ultra. so i think we either get a "slow" card that can "only" run all games at 1024 32bit without dis. mapping, or we get a fast card that can run all games at least at 800 32bit with dis. mapping.
                              from what i remember, embm worked smooth at those resolutions when i got my max many months back.
                              and since there wont be that many games supporting displacement mapping soon, i would even get a "slow" card and wait for the 2002 king of 3d

but it could all be rumours anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X