who's gonna get a G550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who's gonna get a G550?

based on www.chickshardware.com conclusions, would you get one?

personally, as it stands.... i think i would, i love dualhead and i could use the increased 3Dstudio MAX power (and raw fill rate improvement) but i won't have any use for this headcasting stuff.

if matrox made a different version without the headcasting and had 128-bit DDR (instead of 64-bit) and had the cost of current g450's i'd most certenly pick one up.

how bout you?
    no harm, no foul.

I think they are wrong with headcasting.

Head means monitor to Matrox (aka dual head), not head as in on your shoulders.

GoIP will most likely be some sort of remote viewing of your display, maybe like PCAnywhere, but with hardware compression thereby making it a little easier on the bandwidth.

If they can compress the output to the monitor enough, then they might have a way to compress the data inside the chip itself, making 64bit DDR a viable solution.

Remember Matrox always makes their chips well balanced. If the chip can feed far more data than the 64bit DDR ram, they would either clock it slower, or make the ram faster.

To answer your question, I will probably get one, if not Ill have a look at the radeon VE, or get a PCI kyro2. (I cant live without DH anymore, damn you matrox).

Ali

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I cant live without DH anymore, damn you matrox. </font>
      I fully agree.. damn you Matrox

i thought about how matrox could have some sort of special on chip bandwidth saving thingy (very technical) so that 64bit DDR would be good. and i do hope the chip can push more then what normal 64bit DDR can take, so Matrox will have either this bandwitch saver or make a 128bit DDR board.
      i hope they don't clock the chip itself lower atlest 166mhz, same as g400max, but with 2 texelpipes
      no harm, no foul.

Comment

So were talking about Fusing an Ethernet chip with a graphics chip to produce a graphics card that can broadcast video over the internet?!
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I can't talk from experiance but from the specs it would be better off to go with the Kyro2 PCI instead of the Radeon VE.

The VE is basically a radeon that has sat in a bad neighbourhood in the rough part of town... stripped bare.
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

My only objective for a new card is 3D power. Therefore my decision depends on the benchmarks of the G550.

But I am seriously considering to get one ...

MK

------------------
            Celeron II 850 MHz + Golden Orb
            256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
            G400 16MB @ PD 6.10 + TGL
            20 GB IBM on HPT U-ATA100 RAID
            Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
            <font size="1">
            Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
            ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
            Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
            2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
            256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
            Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
            ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
            Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
            Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
            Plustek Optic Pro U12B
            HP Deskjet 959C
            Plantronics LS1 Headset
            all on W2k Professional SP2
            </font>

Comment

Well, if i win the UT competition here next week, i`ll definitely get one.

[This message has been edited by omegaRED (edited 02 June 2001).]
              Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

I'm a bit strapped for cash but if i wasnt then the answer would be yes.

regafrds MD
                Interests include:
                Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I reckon I'll get one

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I'm not sure yet, it depends on final specs and cost.
                    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I'm pretty sure that this card will satisfy my 3D needs better than my current TNT2 M64. And if the price is right (which is what I'm afraid of) then I will probably get one.

------------------
                      "Wedge! Pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"
                      Suggestive Star Wars line from Return of the Jedi
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Not everyone has $1200 (Australian) to part on a video card DosFreak! :-)

Comment

Sell your wife,children,dogs,feet if you have to.....

C:\DOS
                          C:\DOS\RUN
                          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Zokes, that line is from star wars (the very first part), not return of the jedi... i hope you know that

Comment

I'm prolly not gonna get one. When I get my next vid card, my budget will prolly be quite roomy. So I'll prolly get something around the speed/price of a GF3. Even if the G550 gets 128bit DDR and everything is faster than expected, it'll still be much slower than GF3's generation of vid cards.

If the G550 comes at a very attractive price and becomes available in a very good Marval package, I may reconsider.
                              Primary system specs:
                              Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X