Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matox @ e3 as seen by sharky extreme

this is what they had to say:

'We kicked off E3 2001 by meeting up with graphics manufacturer Matrox. For the most part, Matrox stressed that their next-generation product will continue targeting the business market with new features aimed squarely at productivity and communication. Gaming capabilities have also been enhanced, but to a more subtle degree (memory bandwidth will surly be the most inhibitive factor to 3D performance). The most impressive aspect of the upcoming offering will be price, as Matrox has really bent over backwards to make sure their product will pack plenty of punch for the asking price. Once Matrox's next product does hit store shelves, many comparisons will be made to ATI's RADEON VE and NVIDIA's GeForce2 MX.

Though Matrox has not talked about their rumored high-end product, we still maintain some semblance of belief that they will not be exiting the performance market entirely..'

doesn't sound that exciting, but atleast it will be able to rival the kyro 2 for performance and price
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Pentium4m 1.6
    640mb pc2100
    64mb gf440go
    15" uxga ultrasharp
    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

I really hope this does not mean a 64 Bit DDR-bandwidth connection from the core to the RAM !

MK

------------------
    Celeron II 850 MHz + Golden Orb
    256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
    G400 16MB @ PD 6.10 + TGL
    20 GB IBM on HPT U-ATA100 RAID
    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
    <font size="1">
    Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
    ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
    Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
    2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
    256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
    Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
    ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
    HP Deskjet 959C
    Plantronics LS1 Headset
    all on W2k Professional SP2
    </font>

Comment

How many here are looking to upgrade to an ATI RADEON VE or NVIDIA GeForce2 MX caliber card? I don't know that I would upgrade from my Max to that level. I'd probably wait for a card with more functionality and speed. I currently only play Q3A on occasion and am more interested in visual quality and TV-out features. In time, I'll be more interested in overall DTV in/out capabilities and more capable 3D acceleration and image enhancing features to exploit the then latest games. Doesn't seem like I'll be upgrading soon.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I own a vanilla g400 16meg card, so It would be a nice improvement for me - as long as it still supports the RRG

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well, if this card doubles my MAX speed, i'll be satisfied till the next card comes.. (as long as that one isn't 2 years away)
          PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

RRG!!!!!!
            YES! YES! YES!

System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

"..atleast it will be able to rival the kyro 2 for performance and price"
              I doubt it.. The kyroII outperforms the Radeon VE and GF2MX cards. Matrox is positioning the Gxxx to be at the bottom of the 3D scale, which I just find unacceptable. Sorry M, you blew it again.

Comment

A GF2MX class card will have to be really cheap to make it interesting, with the relative small price gap between a MX and a GTS, the coming Matrox card could become completely uninteresting, when viewed from a gamers perspective.
                "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

And unless its got a DVI-I conector for the 2nd head, it'll be uninteresting for 2D usage as far as I'm concerned.
                  Taking up an extra slot for a digital connector (like the G400 requires) is no longer acceptable.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
                    And unless its got a DVI-I conector for the 2nd head, it'll be uninteresting for 2D usage as far as I'm concerned. ...</font>
                    It probably will. I expect the next-gen will be a very clean, highly integrated card with a goal towards minimizing production costs, thus allowing a competitive price.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I'm satisfied with everything over GeForce 2 MX preformance, and I'm hoping for RRG suport!

I don't want to wait for a Marvel board!

------------------
                      - [GDI]Raptor

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping so, since I would have quite a few uses for it in the 2D field then

Comment

Working...
                        X