No announcement yet.

OK, next question... What do you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, next question... What do you want?

As I've now learnt that discussing over unannounced products is quite pointless, as I don't want to annoy Kruzin, and as I'm still curious I thought we might just help Matrox out a bit and tell them what we - realistically - want and expect from our graphics cards (since they seem to think they know better and I think they're wrong - but then, I hardly think at all ).

Well, so, to get to the point: What do you, the users, realistically expect from your (next) graphics card, what would you be willing to spend on it etc.?

I'll begin.. If it gets available this summer I'd be happy with about GF2 performance, I don't need T&L (as long as the card still delivers, like for instance Kyro II based cards do) or DX8 features (though that would be a nice thing to have on top of what I need), but I'd want good image quality (in both 2d and 3d), stable drivers, DualHead would be nice but not necessary, and as all modern cards seem to have fans on them, I'd want a QUIET one, please! This would be worth $200-$250 to me.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

i would like the card (whatever the name will be) to be available june/july. shouldnt be too expensive.
    as for the tech: a kyroII similar card with t&l and some more directX 8 features would be nice, i wouldnt mind ddr ram and faster clock speed and a lot of pixel and texture pipelines and whatnot.
    but i would be happy with a card thats g400 quality with at least 150% performance

Comment

Pretty much the same as az, but also:
      -TV-out, preferably with DualHead
      -good compatibility with VIA chipsets

Comment

I would want something with good image quality, both in 2D and 3D, high quality filtering without a performance hit (anistrophic), texture compression (S3TC and DXTC) and vertex shaders.

I really don't care about Dual view or FSAA.
        I just want to be able to play my games with all eye-candy (sans FSAA) at 1024x768x32 at good frame rates.

That being said, I'll probably never get a card that fulfills those specs, as I'm cheap when it comes to my upgrades. The next generation is always just around the corner, promising new great things
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Hey.. as long as it works with my Asus A7V133 mobo (without having to install everything in predefined steps every time), and the performance is on par with what´s out now from ATI and Nvidia, I´ll buy it
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I would like to see the following:

- performance clearly superior to GF 2MX 400
            - DDR RAM (at least 32MB)
            - the more T&L the better
            - Matrox 2D quality
            - Matrox driver quality
            - availability at least in July

Wait and see, if I will be dissapointed or not. But I will - for sure - buy a new card this summer ...

MK

------------------
            Celeron II 860 MHz + Golden Orb
            256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
            G400 16MB @ PD 5.52 + TGL
            20 GB IBM on HPT U-ATA100 RAID
            Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
            <font size="1">
            Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
            ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
            Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
            2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
            256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
            Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
            ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
            Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
            Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
            Plustek Optic Pro U12B
            HP Deskjet 959C
            Plantronics LS1 Headset
            all on W2k Professional SP2
            </font>

Comment

Well, to be satisfied for the time being:

- At the VERY LEAST, GF2MX level of performance, preferrably more.
              - At least 32MB of DDR SDRAM, or maybe another revolutionary RAM technology (FCRAM?)
              - Supports some DX8 features
              - Same level, or better 2D/3D image quality of current G400.
              - Improve on the cool features (e.g. DualHead)

However, if Matrox's next card is going to last anywhere as long as my G400 did (almost 2 years), it's going to have to be able to match a Geforce3 in performance.

Comment

I don't see why you are all just asking for it to be almost as good as last years model of the competitor. That baffles me. For the amount of time they wait between cards their next one had better be way beyond the competition in every aspect. Why should I buy a card that is maxed out on todays programs? I want one that will be able to handle the applications that come out a year from now.

It seems to me that Matrox is like a sprinter going up against a marathon runner. The sprinter runs as fast as he can to catch the marathoner, but then has to stop and rest. Once he is rested he can catch up again, but just barely, then he has to stop. Eventually the marathon runner will be so far ahead that the sprinter has no chance of cathing up.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

I'd like to see the following one piece in addition to everything else mentioned. Hardware monitoring of the GPU, aka fan speed, and core temperature of the GPU. That wouldn't be too hard would it?
                  1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
                  512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
                  MSI 845PE FISR
                  8.4GB Quantum CR
                  40GB Maxtor 5400
                  MSI 40X12X48
                  Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
                  SB Audigy
                  Parhelia (210/600)
                  19" Dell P991
                  Win2kPro
                  Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

monitor out.
                    System 1:
                    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                    Epox 8K7A
                    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                    SBLIVE 5.1
                    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                    3Com Hardware Modem
                    Teac 20/10/40 burner
                    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

lol durango

i would also like to see some sort of connector that will fit into one of the slots already on my motherboard.

lol

with shiny gold contacts.

------------------
                      Canadian... Hell Ya!!!
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I want to be able to play at 1024x768x32bpp in games that are available now with a smooth feel, no jerkiness in high polygon areas. Of course the 3D picture quality has to be at least as good as my G400 (I've played on a 2 GTSes and the quality doesn't impress me). 2D as good as a G450 at least, and I wouldn't mind eTV like capabilities or the ability to add them on either. I'd pay $300 for a 32MB version of that although I'm broke. Oh and of coure a mature OpenGL driver that is fast not only in games but in stuff like 3DSMax as well
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Render subjects nude. I've been asking for it for years now. It's all I've asked for. Heck, at this point I'd be half satisfied with a registry hack that would activate non-working a check-off box in PowerDesk.

Of course, I'd be much happier if it worked.

Paul
                          paulcs@speakeasy.net

Comment

I thought that Render Subject Nude was already confirmed by Matrox ??
                            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Well, since the emphasis is on a good "business or professional" card the first "Render Nude" feature will only render females nude who are wearing polyester or wool business suits.

Now, what we really want is the "Hard Core gammers" version of the feature that will Render Nude through leather, cheerleader uniforms and body armor...basically anything.

Oh!! We want the render nude feature to work in Dual Head as well. It has to work on the secondary display so I can get some work done on the primary display.

Yea, that's what I want...LOL

Paul
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X