No announcement yet.

It ain't lookin' good at all, no sir...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ain't lookin' good at all, no sir...

We know that the upcoming G550 will be in the $150-200 US market; the G2MX and the Kyros selling for around $100, the only equally priced boards competing would have been the Radeons. However, It ain't looking god for Matrox; look what I just found...

----------------------------------------
    NVIDIA to Bomb the Graphics Market: NV17

Together with the development of high-performance chips, NVIDIA also keeps working on value solutions. At present the company is busy developing GeForce2 MX’s successor based on GeForce3 architecture but falling into the sub-$150 price group. As our sources reported, this upcoming product is codenamed NV17. According to NVIDIA’s marketing plans, this product is planned to be made fully DirectX8 compliant, just like GeForce3. NVIDIA needs it to push its brand features, such as nFiniteFX engine, into the mass market, so that to make them supported by the newest 3D games.
    NVIDIA expects to have the first NV17 samples ready in the beginning of summer already. The official announcement of the product, which can be regarded as some kind of GeForce3 MX, is scheduled for this autumn, if everything goes the right way. Costing a little bit under $150, NV17 based graphics cards will be ousting GeForce2 GTS and GeForce2 Pro based graphics cards. As for GeForce2 MX family, it will remain, however, it will be then targeted for the Low-End market. The performance of NV17 based cards is expected to be almost the same as that of the today’s GeForce2 based products. However, with the full DirectX8 support, NV17 will look much more attractive than its predecessors. Of course, NV17 will support enhanced TwinView technology and SDR and DDR SDRAM. the first NV17 based cards are most likely to be equipped with SDRAM, however, there are no exact specs available yet.
    ----------------------------------------

Well, that is EXACTLY what I wanted from Matrox: Fast, cheap, brand-new technologies...

I just hope for Matrox that the G550 will be a -PLEASANT- surprise... If not, Matrox could loose A LOT of OEM deals.

Francis

------------------
    What was necessary was done yesterday;
    We're currently working on the impossible;
    For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

------------------

(Workstation)
    - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
    - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
    - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
    - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
    - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
    (Server)
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
    - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
    - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
    - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Quit moving the thread on me.

I heard about the NV17 yesterday morning. I came to the same conclusion. NVIDIA sure is looking to conquer all markets. They've been having in-roads to OEM deals, very high-end consumer 3D, and value 3D. This will be very tough for Matrox Graphics if NVIDIA can improve their quality to match their product breadth and performance. These guys are serious.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
    X