Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geforce2 vs Hercules Dynamite VLB

Hello everyone,

I have just finished up doing some comparisons between the Asus V7700 and the former champion of 2D quality and performance, the Hercules Dynamite VLB board.

Now this isn't a normal benchmark comparo., since the cards really can't be fairly compared with today's software, but what we can do is compare visual quality on the output. The dynamite VLB can do 1024X768 24bit at 85hz, so this will be the basis of the visual quality comparisons.

How did I test? It's easy. I hooked each one up to a sony G400 monitor, fired up word 97, and opened up a text document, hit F11 to fullscreen, and then counted the number of blurry text characters. Pretty simple, eh? But it won't end there, I will also do a subjective review of the stability and look of the picture output of both.

Here are the results for the Hercules VLB:

# of blurry characters: 4

Look of the screen: Okay, the color was a bit washed, even after using the included hercules color utilities. Very little screen wobble visible at the edges.

Now the Geforce 2:

# of blurry characters: 15

Look of the screen: Not bad, very similar to the Hercules, with the exception that the Asus V7700 had much more visible screen wobble, sometimes up to three pixels. Note that all characters were fuzzier, but they were readable, and not real severe, but the characters that were blurry were obvious to my highly trained eye.

Conclusion:
    The Geforce is an overpriced, overhyped card that cannot compete with old hardware in an area where computers are used the most. The windows desktop at a reasonable resolution. Note that this is not a comparison of gaming, since well, I don't care one way or the other for games.

Casey Jones

--------------------------
    Riding that train....

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

All extremists should be taken out and shot.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

CASEY
      a very objective comparison.
      I could do an objective one 2:
      I would do the same thing you did except i would do it a 160 hz and my conclusion would be, that the Hercules card sucks because it cannot go higher than 85 hz..........so there , a very objective comparison.
      BTW i thought the G400 was the king of 2D performance...visually.
      I have a G400 Max and a GF2 GTS and i can't see any difference i visual quality on my trinitron crt monitor ( Philips Brilliance 109P20 )
      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

BTW
        If you are having screen wobbles then maybe you should check your monitor for defects.

Comment

Okay, as requested, I tested the with the refresh rate thrown higher. Since, the Dynamite is maxed out at 85 Hz refresh rate, the results for it shall stand, and since the visual quality is very exceptional, it's no matter worth worrying about.

The Geforce2 at 100 Hz:

Same as 85 Hz, but with more visible screen wobble.

The Geforce2 at 110 Hz:

# of blurry characters- 27

even more wobble, and there is a shimmering effect.

The Geforce2 at 120 Hz:

# of blurry characters- 32

okay, let's not try to hide this. The GeForce2 cannot top this old VLB card in 2D quality. Period. It's the biggest waste of 300 dollars if you do mostly desktop work. My monitor is fine, there is no wobble at all using a G400, and there is no interference.

Casey Jones

------------------------
          Drivin' that train....

Comment

As Will Smith said in the movie 'Independence Day'. "I have got to get me one of these."

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I don't know why you are getting screen wobbles, because i'm not getting any
              ( he he ) so i totally disagree with you on this one.
              In fact i can't see any 2D visual difference between a GF2 and a G400 Max and i have one of each.
              3D visuals, now thats another story.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Kosh Naranek:
                I don't know why you are getting screen wobbles, because i'm not getting any
                ( he he ) so i totally disagree with you on this one.
                In fact i can't see any 2D visual difference between a GF2 and a G400 Max and i have one of each.
                3D visuals, now thats another story.
                </font>
                I can see the difference between my G400 and a friends ELSA (which were said to have the best 2D together with Asus) Geforce256DDR when connected to the same monitor. Now, I don't know if the GeForce2-cards are better than the Geforce256 ones, considering the BIG gain in image-quality from the TNTs (simply TERRIBLE) to the Geforce I'd say this is possible.

But the card with the sharpest 2D-visuals I have ever seen (beating even the G400 hands down in 1024x768) is an old one with a S3 Trio64 chip on it - by that time the manufacturer obviously didn't care for CE (as the standard for reduction of interference is called here) - thus the card doesn't have any of those filters and other things that add capcity on the analog output and reduce image-quality.
                You can carefully select the filters to match your chips output to minimize the adverse effects on the images' sharpness as Matrox does, but it's still the best not to have those filters at all (of course only when looking at the gfx-output, if the card does disturb your/your neighbors TV/radio, now tha's another story...).

So I can definitely understand people who say that their old pre-CE cards did look sharper than the newer ones.
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                X