Discussion on S@H/G@H interference with Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion on S@H/G@H interference with Outlook

I don't know if any of you noticed, that my Seti production suddenly dropped off aproximately a month ago?
    I work at a Call Center handling business data solutions (ie non private datalinks, ISDN, ADSL etc.), actually my primary function is making network statistics but that's a long story, anyway I'm superuser deluxe, god this is being long winded...
    I'm the de facto administrator, so I have access to a lot of workstations (30-40 PII/I 300-866).
    I shot down Seti because it interfered with Outlook. Every 5 min? Outlook would become totally unresponsive for a period of 3-5 sec.
    A few users commented on this, of course they didn't know what caused it but I knew because it happened on my own workstation too when Seti was running.
    Lately I've been trying out Genome, but it seems it's doing the same thing.
    If I should venture a guess it would be that the background polling of the Exchange server is freezing Outlook. Under normal circumstances this is only taking a split second, but if the polling is running at lowest priority then it may be battling S@H/G@H for CPU time.
    My questions (finally) are:
    Does anyone know what I'm babbling about?
    Does anyone know how to circumvent the problem?

My colleagues are very dependent on Outlook and I won't let these projects be a hindrance, also it could be looked upon as counterproductive, which would forfeit my permission to run them anyway.

It sure would be a waste

Misc.:
    NT 4.0
    Outlook 97
    S@H as service

Kim
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Yeah Kim I know what you're babbling about. I have win2k and outlook 2000 on my laptop I am using here at work and on 2 machines at home, all exhibit the same symptoms with outlook being "frozen". It happened with Seti when I ran it and G@H now.
    As for the second question I believe (I'm a self-taught user-who admiinsters my own network for my business- with no programming or computer science training- just a little logic) it is more memory related as when I run a ram defrag on my laptop (384 meg ram) the problem goes away until I open other apps. Other memory intensive apps such as a Corel Draw or Photoshop graphic exhibit the same behavior. Oh-I'm running G@H as an app. not a service. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
    Pete

Comment

I'm running Win98 + Outlook 2000 + G@H as app. here, with no problems.

Outlook running in Exchange-server mode on a 10Mbps network. The Exchange-server is Win2K Server / Exchange 5.5.

How much RAM is in your workstations?
      Why would I send my pants to New Jersey?

Comment

128 MB.
        My own workstation has 256 MB.

Kim
        Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Are the Outlooks polling for new email every so many minutes? I'm running Outlook on WinME, 256Mb RAM, 2xg@h and I see the same 'problem' every x minutes I set my Outlook to check for mail.

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

VERY interesting Jord.
            So Outlook does it be it in pop3 or mapi mode.
            If I remember correctly (IIRC )you're on a slowish modem connection.
            At my work we're connecting to the corporate Exchange servers through a router checking access lists on our IP-address and MAC-address, which could account for it being slower than standard.
            At home I don't have the problem running as pop3 on ADSL.

It's a bit confusing whith Pete's experiences, but maybe the two are just different roads to the same symptom and if you're suffering from both

Comment

It seems to be a matter of running out of sytem resources. I know on my machine that my dial-up connection (modem-) takes a lot more resources to run than does my network card (win2k server with a simple TCP/IP 100tx network). I believe Genome is a bit of a memory hog and it's definitely a cpu hog when nothing else is active. I had a dual 450 xeon 1 meg cache box that was configured identically hardware wise as my other 2 win2k machines wich are dually p3 700&550's but the xeon box (same ram in all,512mb) i could run 2 Seti clients, outlook, 2-IE windows, all with no freezing of Outlook. Sorry no answer to the problem and I probably just created more confusion, but I have tried installing the client on my workstations (all running outlook 2k/win98) but had the same problem with some apps that they run which are specific to my business. Outlook did the same , but everyone but myself and my brother are connecting through a U-gate. My only alternative has been to discontinue the client on the workstations
              and run Genome on my home machines only.
              Pete

Comment

Well, G@H is definitely a CPU hog, for it's about the second time in 3 days I had to adjust my system clock, as it was running 10 minutes late. Maybe it's because I'm running dual g@h/GS's on a single CPU machine

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

I am also running 2 WUs on G@H on my 1 gig athlon, but my system clock has kept perfect time, for the past month 24/7.

Tom

Comment

The difference Tom is, I have a P3-450 on an old Asus board
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I run Outlook + Win95b + SETI CLi +SETIQ,no probs here.
                      (sorry didn't have time to read whole post )

------------------
                      I guess I won't recruit for my team here Team Anandtech
                      Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                      2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

I'm bringing this up again as I saw it discussed at ARS.
                        http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...1&m=1140916491

It's very annoying this problem.

Does anyone have anything new to add?

Kim

Comment

Outlook 2000, with Office 2000 Service Pack 1 installed I believe, on a Win2k SP1 box. P3 800, 256MB, on network, but Outlook checking my ISP accounts only.

No problems with 1 instance of Genome.

P.

Edit: However...I'm running Outlook in the background, so might not notice much if it doesn't respond at times.

[This message has been edited by Pace (edited 05 June 2001).]
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

And then it sent pear shaped

Just had a little pause of about 1.549 seconds, anyone see a link between these cases?

P.
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                            X