My turn to ask (NVDS11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn to ask (NVDS11)

Well it isn't often I get to ask my own questions....

Is anyone out there using a Panasonic NVDS11? Not being able to afford the 3CCD DX110B, the NVDS11 looks to be about the best bargain for my budget. Of course it is N(eu)tered, but my guess is that either a software crack or a panawidget should be available soon(ish).

Thanks all

Chris

Who is this guy?

Comment

Hmmmm.....Is this a rare model you're asking about Chris?

Of course, the other possible problem is that the model designation is different on this side of the pond and probably nobody over here recognizes what a Panasonic NVDS11 is.

Comment

Ya... hey, who IS that guy?

Comment

Well I thought we all tried to break down trans-atlantic barriers here.

I've no idea what the north american designations are, although I'm prepared to bet that they are substantially different than the european.

As I originally stated, this particular model (athough a new model in the UK) is still unable to receive DV - this syndrome is becoming referred to as "n(eu)tered" in a reference to the (eu) legislation that prohibits input-enabled camcorders to be sold without application of the tax tariff that applies to VCRs (which are subject to different tariffs to normal camcorders).

I was hoping that some of the other euro-participants might have been able to help me out here.

Comment

Actually, we're all in a position where we have to join together... after all, taxation without representation was enough to start a revolution, but taxation WITH representation is looking even worse these days!

Is the model you're querying about one that has built in potential for programming, or are you aiming more at a price break? I'm sure that I've seen plenty of references to various sites delivering programming instructions, it's just that having no need for same, I haven't bookmarked them... I know that if I lived on the other side of the pond, though, the programming capabilities would be foremost in my purchase decision.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I don't know if it can be software cracked yet, although there are indications that most Panasonic models will be in this category.

Also, since the model is relatively recent there isn't a "widget" available (yet). TO give you a clue, this camcorder is appx £600, the cheapest enabled that Panasonic produce is double that price over here (admittedly it's a far better camera also). The same kind of regime exists for all manufacturers.

Comment

I found this link today:
                http://www.cis.tu-graz.ac.at/wb/dvin/dvin2.htm

In it, the author gives a thumbs down to the nv-ds11 because it can't be enabled...

Comment

G'Day Chris,
                  I too have been looking at upgrading to Digital and spent the day doing the rounds of the video shops in Sydney. I was interested in comparing the DS11 ($1700 Australian -Duty free) to the DS99 ($2600 Aus). After much experimenting with both I feel the extra for the DS11 is worth it. The optical stabilizer seems much better than the electronic one and the handling properties are superior. It also has many more features and the screen is much larger and clearer. I guess you have read some magazine tests on these camcorders? I could email you some if you haven't.
                  Maybe you would be better off buying an Australian version as we definitely have DV in/out. The pound (or whatever it is now) is pretty strong against our Aussie dollar!!
                  stringy

Comment

Hi Guys

Jeff, thanks for the URL - it doesn't look like good news for me, but at least I know exactly where I stand.

On the other hand, this has to be an interim purchase, as I can't continue without a DV camera (with all the journalism and stuff), but I know that there is no way that I can afford the 3-CCD devices that I really want. Since most of my footage ends up on the PC rather than being re-output, and I never over-record source tapes, it could be that having a DV-IN enabled cam would be too much of an expensive luxury at the moment.

Incidentally, the only alternative that I have currently found in my price bracket is the Sony TRV110.

Stringy, Yeah, I'd love to read those reviews please. Email id chris@desktopvideoworld.com
                    It isn't possible to buy non-european versions over here unfortunately, and trying to get one imported fills me with dread - I've had to pay fairly massive import duty bills on relatively "cheap" imports before, I don't want to get stuck again.

Comment

Hi

I have the Sony TRV110e DV in enabled (£30.00) by good old http://www.lynxdv.com/jp.html.

I am very pleased with the performance and Dig 8 can also record analogue off TV,VHS etc.

There is no loss of quality when copied back & fore between the ADS Pyro on my computer & back to tape, the DV in enabled Dig8 also acts as a convertor for the Pyro to VHS if required.

I paid £600 for my Sony but I believe it can no be bought for around £550.00

In my view the Sony Dig 8 wins hands down.
                      The Panasonic would be a fine camera IF etc. DV in mumble, mumble, Europe, mumble, mumble.

johnpr98

Comment

Seems to me that I've read some favorable comments here about Digital8 in the past.

Comment

Chris,

I have been using my Sony TR-7000 for a while now, and I am still impressed
                          (my old one is a Sony Hi8)

Pertti

Comment

Now you can all see why I didn't mention the "S" word before .......

Comment

Seems only fair after having used the "P" word...

Comment

Working...
                              X