G@H or Cancer Project- Which one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G@H or Cancer Project- Which one ?

I've been on S@H for more than a year and I'm geting "bored".

So which one now ?

Sugestions for pro and cons.

MURC - Going to the TOP

Genome http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum12/HTML/001086.html
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I'm running genome@home for MURC, because it's faster than seti@home is on my PC.
      I've tried the Cancer project, but somehow the client doesn't want to connect on my PC, so I gave up on that and started tweaking Genome.

Running around the 33rd place in the list
      At least you can recrunch your units in G@H and UD (?? is that true though?), when you don't want to make contact to the server, or your PC doesn't have that option at that time.

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Genome! We must overtake those overclocking maniacs!

Comment

Genome pro:
          Re-loops current wu if can't get new; can move downloaded wu to non-connected machine and let this run some weeks. (*1)
          Faster than seti@home since awards multiple wu-credits for every downloaded wu. Formula, 0,3 * aa-length.
          Uses less memory than seti@home, but uses 60M virtual. (swap-file)
          cmd-only-version, no uneccesary graphics.
          Works as service. (on NT)
          Works on multi-cpu. (run multiple instances)

Genome con: (most should probably be solved with 0.98 due this week)
          Only saves every 1/30 of wu. Can take over 30min/update.
          20-min dead-time if re-loops same wu.
          Only win32, linux-clients.
          (*1): If stopped before 1/30, must download new wu. Also on re-loop.
          Isn't stable client yet. Crashes or re-loops without saving result.
          Large wu and result-files.
          Don't uses normal http-port, firewall-problems.
          No cmd-switches for start/stop/force-upload/no new wu...

THINK pro:
          Sleep-button; can pause the client for upto 120 min. for the "important" game.
          Has configurable run-hours and up/download-time. (*2)
          Faster than seti@home, since every wu gives multiple points. (*3)
          Uses less memory than both genome and seti, but a little more virual than seti.
          Auto-update of client if neccessary. (*4)
          Seems for me more stable than genome@home.
          Can win money/gifts/computer. (*5)
          Wu around 10 KB, results a little more.

THINK con:
          No cmd-client; uses uneccessary gui.
          Only win32-client.
          If running alongside seti@home or genome@home on the same cpu, THINK gets 1% cpu-time if you're not setting priority on UD as REAL-time.
          Needs 800x600 screen-resolution. (Can't minimice/exit/sleep if 640x480)
          No caching of wu.
          Don't work on multi-cpu. Can't run more than one instance. (*6)
          (*2): Tries connecting regardless of up/download-time. Hasn't tried run-times.
          Every wu is split in 100 or 200 main molecules. Only saves between main molecule. Normally this no problem, but for every main molecule there can be 100 variants. Some of these can take over 24h to run before next save. Normally comparable wu-run-time to seti@home.
          (*3): The point-system is screwed up. There's two parts:
          UD-point = "run-time wu" * "machine overall performance" * constant.
          The constant is in my experience around 0,175 if run-time in hours.
          UD don't use cpu-time, but run-time. Can really give long times.
          "machine overall performance" = 40% cpu-points + 25% memory-points + 5% hd-points + 30% net-points.
          The reference is a 1500 MHz cpu has 100 cpu-points, 384 MB = 100 memory-points; 5 GB hd = 100 hd-points (max 196) 100mbit/s = 100 net-points.
          Now, does a program using at most 50 MB (including swap-file) need 5 GB hd-space to this, and 30% to net then wu is 10KB? I think not.
          (*4): Auto-update is security-risk.
          (*5): Prices only open for UK and 49 of North-America's 51 states.
          Some running win9x is talking about that OS-crashes screws up the files and wu is discarded.

(*6): Well, it works running multiple instances if you're using Terminal Services, or other comparable programs.

Now, UD's THINK will use up the 20min-gaps and produce very many points if run alongside genome@home.

[This message has been edited by Rattledagger (edited 16 May 2001).]

Comment

Tried G@H but keep geting an error on the connect stating it can't get an ID. Gave up.

The THINK project . couldn't find any top list. is there one available ?

Comment

just noticed I've become a Murcer. At last, after more than 1 year.

Comment

Congrats
                AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Genome uses port 10100, maybe this is the problem.

THINK hasn't an official team-ranking yet, but look at http://udstats.programmer.nl

Matrox Users is currently on # 154 by points. Team Anandtech is #32.

If you're running THINK and haven't joined, Matrox Users is at http://members.ud.com/services/teams...E-96A534FB1BCD

Comment

BTW, cbman, I guess it's you that still is registered on the old team. Even that you haven't returned a result, you should still move to the new team.

Comment

I'll try THINK project.

Comment

my wu already restarted twice. what's the problem ?

Comment

LOL... I forgot all about that...

Ok.. I will switch.. one of these days I may return a result.
                          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

If you've exiting THINK before it has saved anything, on restart it will start at 0.
                            Another is if you've got permanent or auto-connect the wu can either being done, or screwed up and discarded. If done, the "Total Points" should show this.

If this doesn't apply, and THINK constantly restarts the same wu, you should delete tkcp.ud, tklg.ud, tkop.ud. Also delete the wu; ud_*. If you've uncertain, delete all ud_*. -files. (no extension)

Comment

Working...
                            X