Why Genome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Genome?

I just joined MURC's G@H efforts (yeah! let's get OcUK!). I'm late, I know. But I'm curious why you guys chose to do Genome instead of Folding?

Some reasons I like Folding:
    1) the data from Folding seems to be more valuable scientifically
    2) Folding seems in more need of distributed computing (because proteins fold so quickly)
    3) the Folding client breaks the work up into smaller chunks, so there is less "rework" between stops/starts

I am actually doing Folding for another team, but I will also do Genome now for my beloved MURC.

Hmm. Some people here had some problems with Folding@Home. I've never used it though. It would be difficult to have three teams (G@H, F@H and SETI) at once, since we don't have many crunchers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by 2bfree:
    I am actually doing Folding for another team, but I will also do Genome now for my beloved MURC.</font>
    Now, what team is this...?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Hmm. Some people here had some problems with Folding@Home. I've never used it though. It would be difficult to have three teams (G@H, F@H and SETI) at once, since we don't have many crunchers. </font>
      I guess it would be stretching it to have a 3-way. I was just curious why Genome was chosen over Folding, as I think Folding was released much earlier. Yeah, I suppose the earlier versions of Folding must have had problems as there have apparently been some new versions along the way.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Now, what team is this...? </font>
      I make no bones -- Team Egg Roll (what can I say, I like to read Ars). I think tomorrow I will get some machines at work to run G@H for MURC. MURC should be at least #5.

BTW, it would be great if somebody could make the team number more visible around here. I had a great time searching this forum for it.

Comment

Ah, I thought it was a spy from Team DSL Reports Team Helix! For the team account number, you could've just looked up a member's statistics and the team number is right there. Like this:

Member of team MatroxUsers # 633096920
        Total units processed: 532.97
        Total genes designed: 26

I guess the main reason Genome was chosen was because it was a new project. There aren't any teams that have 1,000,000 WUs yet, so this makes that #1 spot a little closer

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 21 March 2001).]

Comment

A couple of more reasons why Genome was chosen over Folding.

No caching of wu; wu 3 hours must connect to continue therefore needs permanent connection; don't work correctly on multi-cpu (fixed now).

Comment

Working...
          X