Definitively staying with Genome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitively staying with Genome!

I ran a last Seti WU in the past days, against one Genome Unit. A Seti Unit takes up most of my CPU, so when I want to play a game, or even type something in Word, I have to quit the CLI of Seti to get some recources back, whereas when I run a Genome Unit (hidden under Genome Voyeur), I can do everything I want without being bugged down.

So my last 2 WU's for Seti for the moment are run at times I think to start it, but Genome is now my first priority.

Also, a SWU takes up more than 50 hours to run, while the GU takes about 24 hours, even when I have the maximum gene unit. I'm now less than 7 hours away from uploading my second big gene to Genome.

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

I too will certainly stay with genome. Our computer "fleet" is getting old, and the speed is much more tolerable with genome@home.

Add to that the fact that it's a lot more exciting with every team being in reach...

Fred

Comment

I have been wondering about something similar. With a machine with a PIII running at 933 (OCed) the CPU temp (from the internal diode) is 41C. With Genome it's at 39C. Yet both show 100% CPU usage.
      This leads me to believe the Genome client puts less of a strain on the CPU.
      Anyone have any ideas about this?? Maybe can shed some more light on it?

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie
      Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Comment

I run SETI all the time, on Low priority, and I don't even notice it there. No effect on performance whatsoever here. Sometimes I will run Genome, but SETI is my main effort. Genome runs on my older machines, and as Narc said, the speed is tolerable, as you get multiple WU credits

Comment

Hi Jorden ,what PC were you running SETI on? (CPU,RAM).

------------------
          I guess I won't recruit for my team here Team Anandtech
          Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
          2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Same old P3-450 with 256Mb RAM, Assim, running with WinME.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
            X