Sticking with SETI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking with SETI

I've decided to continue with SETI on all my machines as it uses port 80 to communicate with the seti server, genome says it needs socks for comms and I'm not prepared to allow that on my network as no other service requires it.
    When seti ends (after 2 years!??) I will then look for a new distributed project.

Breezer
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

That's still good news Breezer

I however, am sticking with both

(it all depends on which client crashed last on me!)

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I too have also decided to stick with SETI.
      After installing Genome on all my machines. I found that the software was a little bit buggy. It crapped out twice on 1 machine, and made another crash. And It also wont run over a network install. So I just decided to keep with SETI. Sides, I like the stats better.

------------------
      I wasn't born, I was created.
      What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Zyn:
        I too have also decided to stick with SETI. ... Sides, I like the stats better.

</font>
        Have you checked out Martins latest masterpeice seti.matroxusers.com for Genome@Home ??

Mark F.

Hope I got the link right this time

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 06 March 2001).]
        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

I have decided it's better to run Genome on my old machines. My P133 was taking 66 hours a WU. It takes a week or so for a Genome data block, but since you get multiple WU credits, its really about 5hrs/WU on avg. So, 10x the production Sometimes I will run Genome on my main machine, P3-750@825. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Comment

I put it on a Katmai 550 2kserver that I had seti on previously. It seems less taxing on the processor than seti(although 100% usage), and also Athlons seem much faster than PIII so far. (the difference is greater than in seti)
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
            X