Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reorganising our Dist@MURC web resources...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reorganising our Dist@MURC web resources...

How's about this for a setup?

Webpage:
    http://distributed.matroxusers.com
    News and articles in the same vain as SETI@MURC, but with Genome additions! Any other suggestions? I presume you'd like a combined site, rather than separate ones?

Stats pages:
    http://seti.matroxusers.com and
    http://genome.matroxusers.com
    Same idea as at the moment, and, as above, any suggestions (for Martin of course!). And almost 100% presumable, you don't want combined stats!

I'll try and create a 'cool' news page for Distributed@MURC, which has topics and a script for updating: so that a select few volunteers could post news - nice idea?

And Martin/Guru/Rattledagger/Sisyfos/everyone : Could we have a page for Crunchers of the Week, that updates automatically? Then my site could have that, and we could just paste it into here, yea?

Martin: You're format still seems the best, but how's about a little colour change, and maybe font size reduction? Anybody have any views?

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Sounds good.

I've been doing a major script-overhaul lately. Only in the backend, so there shouldn't be any visible difference, but I have:
    - Moved all the scripts to another machine.
    - Moved all the data to a different database backend (Postgres instead of MySQL).
    - Modularized a lot of the configuration and other stuff.

I'm not done yet, but things are a lot more structured already.

In fact, it was fairly trivial to adjust the whole lot to accomodate the Genome@home stats; I think they should be working (murc and teams), except that I can't really test because the disk at GaGames is full again (see other post).

A setup with {distributed,seti,genome}.matroxusers.com sounds just about right. The alternative of integrating all three (news, seti stats, genome stats) on one page is tempting, but I'm afraid the layout would suffer; there's just too much info (especially on the stats pages) to leave room for yet another navigation bar with news headlines, file pointers etcetera.

As far as changing the layout of seti.matroxusers.com is concerned: no problem, as long as readability doesn't suffer and things stay reasonably standards-compliant. I'm not too sure about changing fontsizes though. Right now, this is about all I do:

BODY { background-color: black }
    TH,TD,P { color: white ; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif }
    CAPTION { color: white ; font-weight: bold ; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif }
    A:link, A:visited, A:active { color: yellow }
    H1 { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large ; color: white }

(Plus the BGCOLORS on the individual table-cells, because Netscape doesn't seem to want anything else.)

So the font-sizes are pretty much whatever your browser makes of it. I don't have any problem adjusting colors, but I have a small dislike of adjusting font-sizes. (Your browser displays the fonts too large? Adjust your browser.) Unless of course everybody agrees that the fonts are really ugly and should most definitely be smaller.

About the automatic Crunchers of the day/week/year: I could possibly automate my own scripts, but I'm not sure about the others

In summary: sounds good. I'll try to get all the stats working, you do some fancy news site, everybody else complains about the lack of updates

Ant: does the offer for distributed/genome.matroxusers.com still stand? If there aren't any other volunteers, I'll have one genome, please . On the other disk as well .

Martin

Comment

Put me down for a McDistributed with cheese

And the idea of the news script is to speed up updates With my system config changing week by week I can't guarantee I'll have Dreamweaver up and running, so this would make it easier to update in this situation, and generally!

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

If Martin is OK with doing stats for both Seti and Genome should we have one site for both? We could have teamstats.matroxusers.com or something like that or if its easier to keep things seperate no problem. I'll start talking to GA about this disk space problem, they had assured me they had taken care of it.

Pace there are several free news scripts available that once setup allow you to post news via a web form. I'll dig out some links for you to take a look at. I know diddly about scripts which is why the MURC currently doesn't use one I'm sure if we talk nicely to Martin he might be able to help us out with any setup problems.

As far as GA goes they are undergoing a big reorganisation and are doing away with their hosted affiliate network. They are however keeping one or two of the high profile sites on of which we just about top the list. This should mean in the long run we get a much better service, the vast majority of our problems in the past have been down to other sites sharing the server or network.

Comment

I'm not sure. Does it cost you anything? If so, don't bother: I'll just do the stats on seti.matroxusers.com.

And even if it's free, I'm still not sure. Let's just keep it all on seti.matroxusers for the time being. We'll see how things go.

As long as this diskspace problem is solved, I'm happy. It's driving me nuts.

Martin

Comment

I think it would be good to have two sites. distributed.matroxusers.com for then news site, stats.matroxusers.com for Genome/SETI stats. I don't think it would be a bad idea to put both stats on one page.

Comment

For what it's worth:

FOR THE STATS:
              I think one site could work, but might be better as seperate zones (ie. seti.matroxusers.com and genome.matroxusers.com ). But I would like to see links for the "other" stats at the top. In case that wasn't as clear as I would have liked; We now have links for our team stata, CLUB stats, and All teams stats; If there were also links to the "other' stats (ie on the seti pages, genome's links; and on the genome pages links for the seti pages). Even though they would be seperate zones, you could access all the stats seamlessly.

Not sure how hard this would be. But I think it would have a consistent look and be easy navigate and check all the stats without much confusion.

Time to get ready for a meeting, gotta go.

Mark F.

------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 05 March 2001).]
              Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
              --------------------------------------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
              X