Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain-problems at Berkeley, tries again tomorrow, 3. March to get seti back up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain-problems at Berkeley, tries again tomorrow, 3. March to get seti back up.

From the news-groups:

Michael Sinatra wrote:

"The fiber pull has been completed and the final step is to splice the new fiber back into the main LBL-UCB bundle.

Unfortunately...

Due to the rains in the Bay Area yesterday and this morning, when the contractor tried to access the site where the splice needs to be made, their trucks (including 4x4s) became stuck. They have been unable to
    reach the location.

It gets wackier: tomorrow, they're going to rent ATVs so they can get to the site. Of course, that means we won't be back until tomorrow.

More info as I get it. We'll be updating the web page soon...

michael"

Tomorrow, 3 hours after they are back up, they'll probably get hit by an earthquake, killing everything again

But okay, what kind of soil do they have on or around their University? No roads, but mud only?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

The update on http://www.net.berkeley.edu/setiathome/

"Repairs were supposed to be completed late today, but have been delayed due to the rain last night. Apparently the rain, mud, and steep terrain combined to prevent the contractors from bringing their equipment to the repair site. We are now being told that the contractors will somehow be able to reach the site tomorrow morning, 3 March, and should finish the repair late in the day."

Comment

Can americans walk?
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Being an Ex-fibre tech, I can assure you the truck is needed as there is a hell of a lot of equipment needed to splice a large number of fibres - as well as it is also very time consuming. Its not as easy as glue them together and away it goes there is also testing and re-splicing to follow ('cause there is always one fibre that just doesn't want to fuse properly)

[This message has been edited by Sasq (edited 03 March 2001).]
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

After the EarthQuake, then the Tsunami, then a hurricane, fallowed immideatly by a tornado. And then everyone forgot the hill that Seti@home is on, was a volcano and errupts and then .........

------------------
            I wasn't born, I was created.
            What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

We make a massive transition over to Genome!

Comment

Hehe, yea! I must admit, it would make very interesting to see the number of active users from just before 3.03 coming out, to just after this prolonged outage - I guess they'll have noticed a major drop not just in traffic, but the science getting done.

P.
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace, you wish is my command.

Number of active users.

I explained the spike in another thread, but I can't seem to find it... It has to do with the fact taht they're changing the active user definition from 1wu in the last 3 weeks to 1wu in the last 4 weeks.

Number of new users.

I know it isn't fair to look right now since the servers are still recuperating, but still... Just come back in a few days, the images are directly linked to berkeley's wesite and are dynamic.

Fred (go g@murc go!! )

EDIT gonna get those right links someday!

[This message has been edited by -=Narcissus=- (edited 03 March 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                  X