Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New cable hopefully up Friday, 2. March.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cable hopefully up Friday, 2. March.

Well, it seems it was some vandals stealing copper that broke the link:
    From http://www.net.berkeley.edu/setiathome.shtml

"Fiber cut silences SETI@Home

At about 3:30 PST on 27 February an optical fiber cable connecting the U.C. Berkeley campus with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory was cut, apparently by vandals trying to "salvage" copper from other nearby cables.

The broken fiber carries data and voice connections for LBNL and also for the Space Sciences Lab. SSL is where the SETI@Home project is located, so the millions of participants helping to analyze data have been unable to contact the SETI@Home servers for more than a day.

Contractors are pulling new cable now. It's expected that service to SSL will be restored by Friday, 2 March 2001. We'll update this page as we learn more about the progress of the repairs."

Just seen the message.
    Ouch!!
    DOn't have enough units cached to last much longer, looks like most of tomorrow is going to be idle time for Seti for me.
    Oh well, means the users can have full performance from the servers for a while
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

And what's the fun in that. You could always say you are demoing some improvement, and "if" the speed increase is noticable, ask for more/new hardware, to keep the speed increase.

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie
      Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Comment

I just checked, things are a little bit better looking...

"Contractors are pulling new cable. We now expect that service to SSL will be restored sometime today, Thursday, 1 March 2001."
        A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Working...
        X