Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seti with Dual PIII's on Win2k, How do you guys do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seti with Dual PIII's on Win2k, How do you guys do it?

Got my Dual PIII 850 running on Win2k SRV cruching Seti since yesterday. I've to said the result was not too impressive for me. 6-7hrs for each wu is kind of slow, isn't it? I am running CLI 3.0 with SetiDriver with 2 processes and Affinity on.

How do you Win2k guys do it? Any pointers would be good.

Thanks

Umm... I tried p3-800 out, win2k pro...
    And I got around 5-6.

Try running 1 app at a time.

Iv never tried running 2 at a time.

------------------
    I wasn't born, I was created.
    What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

Zyn: He needs to do that for dual processors, one instance of Seti for each CPU.

And Sir, if I may, have you read the optimisation guide on the (un?)official site?

Some useful tips in there that you may not have picked up on.

Paul.

------------------
      The Pace3000 Network (under reconstruction)
      PaceCentral | Seti
      Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
      Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

~6H is normal for a setup like that with 3.0 CLI!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Bad dog. BAD DOG! I SAID BAD DOG!!! Go HUMP SOMEONE ELSES LEG GODDAMNIT!!!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Pace:
          I've read your Optimisation Guide and Lambchop's NT Guide and have much went thru most of the steps except overclocking with FSB(waiting for my pair of GlobalWin FOP32's and two stick of Mushkin Rev.3 pc133's(150 2-2-2) to arrive). Crunching 2 Wu's right now and will see how long before they're done.

I am using MSI VIA694X Chipset based MB and I've gotten word that the memeory bandwidth is not that good on this board; and there are only a handful of FSB speeds available for overclocking. Oh well, hope I can push this sucker much further.

Guru:
          Most people said that a dual CPU computer should have 1 1/2 times of performance over a single CPU. If it takes 4+4=8 hrs to complete two units with single cpu machine then theorically 6 hrs for two units on dual machine does make sense. Maybe I am just expecting too much?

Comment

You won't increase the speed of a WU but you will be able to do 2 in the same time. If you run one WU it will be processed by one CPU, it won't get shared. If you start up a second copy of setiathome you can then run a second WU on the second CPU.

Comment

Ant:

I know Seti CLI does not use SMP. I am crunching 1 wu per cpu simutaneously. I dont expect to have the same crunching speed compared to single cpu PIII machines because there are two cpu's utilizing one single data path and one single memory sub-system.

However, I would like to increase wu speed and get every ounce out of my dual cpu's by tweaking various setting in Win2k and by overclocking the shit out of my system.

Comment

Working...
              X