Looking for decent caching program to work on NT network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for decent caching program to work on NT network

Yep, I'm trying to get fancy here... Every once in a while we have network issues and the machines can't contact SETI and bail out of the command line client. I'm trying to setup one machine with some decent caching software and then point all the machines to it. There are a few things preventing it from being easy...

-All the machines get their addresses via DHCP. That's not a problem, though if I had a static IP for the "server" (not possible) it'd make things easier.
    -We've got proxy servers, so I have to be able to set the caching software to use them.

-I've tried SetiQ (what I run at home), but it won't work unless I've got a static IP. I know it's supposed to, but for some reason it won't work with the machine name.
    -I'm currently trying SetiGate, but that's not going to well. The machines can talk to it just fine (using my machine name), but it's not able to reliably connect to SETI via the proxy client to upload and download WU's. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and it can only cache 100 WU's at a time.

So... Anybody have any suggestions for programs? I'd rather not setup a manual batch file caching thing on each machine.
    A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Try this: Setiproxy

http://www.stevies-home.purespace.de/esframe.htm

If you have a WINS or DNS server, you should be able to use computer names instead of IP's.

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

You didn't say if the problem with SetiQ is the connection with the proxy-server or if it's the seti@home-clients that don't find the setiq-proxy.

For the first problem, you can probably not run setiq, but you can try setting up setiq on a different machine. Most likely none of them will work, and you must try setiproxy.

For the second, try this:
      Edit wsockhk.txt in the setiq-directory, and comment out the qseti_server= xxx-line.

Check that the clients is run with correct proxy:
      seti@home.exe -proxy computername:5512

If setiq correctly connects with the proxy-server, all should be working now. If it's only working on the machine running setiq, try ping computername. If all machines can ping the setiq-machine, but it's only the machine running setiq that the seti@home-client works on, you must probably setup setiq on all machines.
      If ping doesn't find the machine, you have a network-problem.

Comment

The problem with SetiQ is with clients connecting to it internally (connecting externally is fine). They can ping the machine fine, they just don't resolve the name for some odd reason. I'm going to play with it some more today.

I'll try commenting out the qseti_server= line. I've tried setting that to the machine name, but that didn't help... Maybe if I get rid of it all together...

[This message has been edited by CharlesWA (edited 08 December 2000).]
        A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Working...
        X