Cannot open MSP 6 programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot open MSP 6 programs

I had a friend with a cable modem download those MSP 6 files for me a few days ago. He brought the newly burned Cd over and I loaded it up. I already have MSP 5.2 and I was anxious to see the changes that 6.0 would bring. Everything seemed to go Ok during the install, but there's NO way that the Video Capture, Video Editor, Video Paint, or CG Infinity programs will open. However, the Audio Editor program does open and appears to function properly.

When I try to open Video Editor, I get a window entitled -

C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.0\veditor.exe

In this window it says -

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

A second window also appears at the same time and it's entitled -

Error Starting Program

In this window it says -

The UWUPDATE.DLL file is linked to missing export MFC42.DLL:6467

The other programs that don't open have the same messages but with different numbers -

Video Capture - VEDVP.DLL - MFC42.DLL:6571

Video Paint and CG Infinity - VFCCOMM.DLL - MFC42.DLL:6883

At this point I don't know if it's the downloaded MSP 6 files that are corrupted or if this is a continuation of some Win98 troubles that I was experiencing. I should mention that MSP 5.2 seems to run fine with the Mill2/RR-S combination I have.

Does anyone have a clue what might be happening here?

Try to delete (rename) the Ulead32.ini and start again. ...or reinstall AND delete Ulead32.ini before start.
    Capture is not the best one in MSP 6.0. You must have a good signal-in when configuring. I prefer the PC-VCR.
    MSP6.0 works fine for me even with the Premiere 5.1 on the same computer.
    Never tried MSP 5.2, but 6.0 is sweet..
    Maybe it helps

Comment

Nope.

Thanks for the suggestion ham64, but that doesn't appear to help. I renamed the Ulead32.ini file, but nothing changed regarding the problems with the MSP 6 programs opening. All I noticed was that my settings for the MSP 5.2 Video Editor had disappeared. I changed the name of the file back and recovered my MSP 5.2 settings.

Comment

Patrick, I try to help but I'm not an expert. Maybe uninstalling and sacrifiing your old settings in the 5.2 could help? Try to save the old .dvp files.
        First time I installed the MSP6 I got a rendering error. The only cure was to delete the Ulead32.ini. Someone wrote in this forum (don't remember who) that you can play with other Ulead related .ini files. Again, I do not which files, but worth to try.
        Which download ver. do you have. People has problem with some rared files (CRC errors or something)

Comment

The messages you get seem to indicate that you miss the MFC42.DLL file, which should be in your windows\system folder. I don't know where to find a copy though.
          Michka
          I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
          If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Michka, the MFC42.DLL file is still in the Windows\System folder. I also have access to it on the Win98 installation Cd. I don't have any idea what it is or what it does.

ham64, I should add that I don't even get close to having the programs not run properly. There is NO indication that the programs are even starting to open. All I get are those error boxes and their messages on the windows desktop that I've mentioned before. I'm hesitant to uninstall and sacrifice too much from MSP 5.2 unless I'm convinced that it will make a difference. Jeff at the forum here has the same version of MSP 6 up and running as I'm supposed to have, and he has stated that the two MSPs can coexist fine. He and I got these files from the same site that dragmore posted about back on February 20th.

There is one thing I'm aware of that didn't seem right during the install. I was never prompted to decide what to do regarding installation of the drivers. The Read Me folder states -

>>>>>>
            To install Ulead MediaStudio Pro, click the Install button on the initial screen that comes up after you insert your Ulead MediaStudio Pro CD in the CD-ROM. This automatically installs the program as well as the necessary drivers. It is recommended that you install the selected drivers, as they will optimize the way Ulead MediaStudio Pro works with your system's hardware. The unselected drivers are optional. You can choose to install them at the same time or at a later date by using the Install Drivers option.
            >>>>>>

There was NO mention of drivers during the install that I did. Does this suggest that the MSP 6 files I have are corrupted? I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully used these files. Were you prompted about installing any drivers?

Comment

Patrick

Are they the demo files from the Ulead site or one of the numerous pirated systems that various persons have been pushing? If the former, you may be able to check with Ulead that you have all the files. It sounds like there is something missing.

------------------
              Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Patrick,
                The error messages tell you that the programs cannot find specific functions in a dll file called mfc42.dll. There may be 2 reasons for this: either you miss the file, or the version you have does not support the functions requested by the programs.
                You tell me that the file does exist in your windows\system folder, so it must be that you don't have the correct version. I looked for it on my computer and the version I have is 6.00.8576.0, dated 09/10/99. It is 973K long.
                Now, there is another possible explanation: the program files you mention (UWUPDATE,VEDVP, ...) ask for function numbers which do not exist in any version of MFC42. This would mean that your program files are corrupted, or that something else is causing the programs to ask for non-existent functions.
                I would first check for the presence of mfc42 (you already did), then check for the version. I already have suffered from this kind of problems and it was the result of another (ill behaved) program replacing at installation a perfectly valid dynamic link library by its own older version.

Michka

Comment

Brian, this is one of the "pirated" versions. Yes, my conscience is bothering me. My only consolation is that I might also be having these problems with a "legit" version.

Michka, your last sentence makes a lot of sense to me. As I mentioned in my first post, I have had some problems with Win98 lately. I originally started to have trouble with my computer after installing various items, including drivers for my Umax 1220S scanner. I tried to reinstall Win98 over top of itself, but that made no difference. For example, I always get a Runtime Error message when I try to open Wordpad. Now this may be a dumb question, but how do I check what version of MFC42.DLL it is that I have? When I locate it with the Find function it tells me that the date of it is 11/5/98 and that it's 932 Kbs.

Ok, here's the latest news...

I just found out something in the last couple of hours that may (or may not) tell us where the problem lies. The friend of mine who actually downloaded the MSP 6 files with his cable modem has just installed the program on his own computer. The program opens and runs fine. That would seem to indicate that the problem is with my computer. However, also keep in mind that my friend installed the downloaded MSP 6 files directly from his hard drive and NOT from the Cd that he burnt for me. I suppose that there could have been something lost in the transfer of files from his hard drive to the burned Cd and then from there to my computer. Maybe I should have him try to reinstall MSP 6 from the Cd that he burned and not from his own hard drive. I should probably also do a clean reinstall of Win98.

Thanks for all the tips fellas. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Well Patrick, to find the version of any program file, you just right click on it and choose properties from the drop-down menu. If the program has been correctly written you should then see a window with two tabs: General and Version. Click on the Version tab, of course. Some older files don't have the version info, so that the window will only have the General tab.
                    Now for one thing you could easily do: copy the MFC42.DLL from your friend's computer to your computer. I suspect it will work after that. And there should not be any sort of side effect to this but, to be 100% sure, first rename the mfc42 file on your computer so that you can revert back to the original version if something else does not work anymore. But I repeat, this should not happen as newer versions of dll's are normally compatible with previous ones.
                    Michka

Comment

Hey, it works!!!

Michka, the version of MFC42.DLL I had was 4.21.7325, so I got my friend to send over a copy of his file in an email (isn't the internet great!) and voila, all the MSP 6 programs now open.

I loaded up a project in Video Editor that I was working on with MSP 5.2 and unfortunately I got the same Multiple file playback error as has been reported in another thread, but I'm not too worried about that at this time.

So Michka, if you can tell me why WordPad doesn't work on my computer, I'll award you bonus points.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. It is very much appreciated.

Comment

Patrick

mfc42.dll seems to be one helluva variable file. I did a Find for it on the three computers at this location and found it eight times in varieties ranging from 4.xx to 6.xx, ranging from July 98 to April 99. Only two were the same! The latest one I have is 6.00.8447.0. Now, it would seem that many MS apps load it, so that, depending whether it is put in the \windows\system directory or in one confined to the app, I could imagine that all sorts of things could happen.

This leads me to a variety of questions. A number of dis(un)installation programmes suggest that duplicate dll files are unnecessary and it is safe to delete them all except the one in the \windows\system directory. However, does this apply to different versions (provided that the one in that directory is the latest version)? When an app calls for a given dll file, does it look first locally and then in the system, or vice versa? Is it always safe to replace older versions with newer ones? Perhaps some of you Windows wizards can answer????

------------------
                        Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

That's just the tip of the iceberg, Brian! But as you can see, Microshaft likes to keep the world spinning with the money machine by completely overwhelming the market with re-write after re-write of even the most mundane and seemingly innocuous elements of that beastly 'operating system'. It's as if planet Earth has been invaded by an alien life form that is based upon mold and fungus. It may have evolved into a form that has the outer appearance of something quite recognizable and acceptable, but inside it's still just mold and fungus that, by its very nature, will continue to randomly spread and infest...

Comment

Brian,
                            If a program needs to use functions which are in a dynamic link library, windows starts by looking in the current directory (which usually is the directory of the app, but not necessarily), then in the \windows\system directory and then in \windows. Now the big problem when you write a program: where should you install the dlls needed by your program. If the dll is only relevant to your own program, then better place it in the same directory as your app. If the dll is a general purpose or a redistributable system dll (such as the mfc42.dll) then it should be placed in the \windows\system directory. But then your install routine should carefully check if a newer version of this dll does not already exist in the directory and either not install the older version, or ask the client if it is OK to replace it with an older version. Unfortunately, some programmers change the date and the version of all the files (even the ones which have not been changed) when they publish a new version of their prog. The problem is when, because of a lack of understanding, they also change the date/version of redistributable system dlls, and/or their installation program does not check on the date/version. That's how from time to time you end up with very old dlls and a lot of programs search for functions which can be found only in the newer version. This situation can happen with most of the dll files to be found in the windows\system directory. Then you start seeing the kind of messages that Patrick mentionned and the only solution to solve the problem is to find a copy of the newest version somewhere on your CD's (or on another PC) and overwrite the older one on your PC.
                            Michka

Comment

Working...
                            X