Creeping past 4K...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creeping past 4K...

Well, today it seems as if I've finally passed the 4K mark, although I wish it was under better circumstances.
    It just seems that crunching has become less enjoyable since the release of the version 3 client. I've got a P3-800, a Celeron II-850 and some HP servers pretty much crunching full time now, and my progress is appallingly slow. I still haven't found a reason why the servers take 7.5 hrs per wu with ver 3.0 when they used to take 3 hrs with ver 2.4, and now my PCs are faster than the servers. I may end up taking the servers offline soon, as it's too much effort to manually transport the units to the servers on zip disks, crunch them, and then transport them home on zip disks for uploading.
    It's good to see us getting new members though. I hope we can keep up the pace we have set for ourselves and overtake more teams that are ahead of us.
    Sorry for the long rant, but it's a little depressing to see your work unit output dwindle to practically nothing when there's really nothing you can do about it.

- Manex
    ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

That's great! Thanks for the contribution and keep it up

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Damn there are some fast crunchers around here. You and Rags, <4 hour wu average. damn
      What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

Well congrats for reashing 4K WU's anyway!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

The reason HPs are so so is they run both 2.4 and 3.0 flat out (unlike intel chips which waste a lot of time cache missing in 2.4). As 3.0 does many more calculations than 2.4 it's quite a lot slower.

Comment

Working...
          X