Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAM Disk -- how do I make one for Win 98 SE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Disk -- how do I make one for Win 98 SE?

I hate to admit this, but my memory is failing me. I cannot remember how to make a RAM Disk for Win 98 SE.

I know that I need the following in my Config.sys

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=c:\windows\ramdrive.sys 16384 /E
    LASTDRIVE=H

Note: I made sure HIMEM.SYS is on the root directory. The last drive in this computer would be H.

I also know that ramdrive.sys must follow HIMEM.SYS, but from there, I cannot remember how to finish the process.

I have heard that running the client version in a RAM Disk will speed things up because the program does not need to access a "slow" hard drive.

Is there a link at SETI describing how to make a RAM Disk and how best to use it with SETI@home?

Thank you for your help.

Swing

[This message has been edited by Swing (edited 29 October 2000).]

Hmm, good question. I always used "RamDisk 98" for that. if you want it, just drop me a mail to "thomas.behning@gmx.de". It's a fine little program that can make ramdisk up to 2 GB and you can also format it to fat32 if you want to.

Mega
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

I tried a ram disk a while ago and it made no difference to my unit production.

The later versions of the seti client don't hit the disk as much as the earlier versions.

I really wouldn't bother if you have a reasonable fast hard disk.

breezer
      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Thanks MegaManX4 and breezer,

RamDisk 98 costs $25. I know that isn't much, but I have had a lot of bills lately and not enough money to pay for everything, so $25 for me right now is too much.

And my hard drives are UDMA 33 5400 RPM with a lot of data on them.

Thanks again.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

From a DOS-point you should have after rebooting a ramdisk ready to use, and it's using the first free drive-letter. If this works in anything newer than win95, I don't know.

If you're only using the ramdisk for seti@home, putting 1024 instead of 16384 should be on the large side of size-requirement.
          I don't think there is any reason to use a ramdisk, if you don't run seti@home from a floppy. The first OS or power-failure will probably lead to more lost processing-time than your speed-increase.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input.

I got my answer here http://board.3dfiles.com/Forum1/HTML/004896.html#10 and thought I would share it, in case someone else wants the information.

Comment

Working...
            X