What is Seti@murc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Seti@murc?

Firstly, I would like to appologize for being so ignorant. But would anyone be kind enough to please explain to me what this SETI@MURC is all about? I think I know wat the title means, but what do you do? And what is that ladder on the front page updated once in a while?? I really don't get them. please explain. Thanks
    Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
    ASUS P4T-EA
    Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
    ATI 8500 Retail
    SB Audigy Plat. ex+
    WinXP Pro SP1

Hi Sanjuro,
    we're a group of people who crunch seti units and are all members of the murc team.

For information on seti@home look here http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Details of the seti project can be found here http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/learnmore.html

The ladders give individual and team statistics of the units crunched, see http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_list.html for further information

Download the seti client and join the murc team, we would all be pleased if you joined us, http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html

Breezer.
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

As Breezer says, the SETI@home website contains the main information about Seti itself. SETI @ MURC is a team started by the Matrox Users website (SteveC in particular I believe).

Seti, or the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence at Home to give it it's full title is a science project from the University of x and is, as the name suggests, about finding aliens. Seti (the science group) collect data from space which they split up into managable chunks so that PCs around the world can contribute to their project. The clients (in other words, us) download these work units or Seti WUs, analyse and process them before submitting the result back up to the Seti project. WUs include radio signals from space which the Seti program searches and checks to see if it's possible that a certain pattern was made by intelligent life forms or if it's just random background interference.

When you set up an account and start crunching WUs you get your work progress logged into their server. The news posts you see are compilations of Martin's ('Ees') stats. It's Martin who runs the statistics pages for us MURCers

I run the SETI @ MURC website which has a great guide (by me ) to getting you running Seti with the screensaver version. Click the Seti link in my signature for the site. It also has some good stuff for optimising your system for Seti (as well as general PC speed tips).

Thanks for your interest and it all helps boost the Matrox Users team in the world rankings! Believe it or not but we're in the top 20 worldwide!

Hope to see you on the member list soon,

Paul.

------------------
      Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
      Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
      Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
      Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Just a correction
        We're are in Top 20 in Club Teams
        In All Teams we are at 36th place

Comment

WOW! this is amazing....
          Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
          ASUS P4T-EA
          Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
          ATI 8500 Retail
          SB Audigy Plat. ex+
          WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

yep, if you join, you will the human race advance (thats if we find something), its not only a competition of who can crunch the most WU's per day (although many people see it as this)

btw, im from vancouver too

------------------
            P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
            Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
            Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
            64meg Ram
            Ali V agp chipset
            ICQ UIN: 24730025
            <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
            VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
            Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
            128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
            Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
            Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
            Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
            Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
            Actima 36X CD-Rom
            Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
            Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
            Windows 2000 (primary)
            Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Working...
            X