I have a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a problem

Does any one know how to get seti through a bordermanager firewall. NAT is not turned on (and won't be) nor is ip-ip gateway, http access is through the web proxy.
    The seti@home readme say i can use a web proxy through port 80 but bordermanager won't let me.
    I keep on getting gethostbyname: No such file or directory
    The the usual will connect in a hour.

I'm using win98 and v3 nt command line interface.

If I can't sort this breezer will have to stop crunching and retire from murc.

..and yes the firewall has just been updated to a new version.
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

I guess it's at work you're having problems.

The first thing, is you sure the port is 80? As it stands in the readme the proxy-port is often 80, but it can be different. Take a look on the proxy-settings in your web-browser, and use the same as here. If the browser works but seti@home don't work, you're probably blocked against connecting to the seti@home-site. Even if you can see the web-pages, you can be blocked against sending wu.
    If you're blocked, you have 3 solutions:
    1. Beg the admin remove the blocking.
    2. Use another connection to get wu (did anyone say floppy?)
    3. Stop running seti@home.

Of course, if the admin refuses to remove a blocking, case two aren't a legal option.

Comment

If the problem turns out to be proxy authentication (as it did for me, our proxy requires logging in), check here for a workaround.

------------------
      Andrew
      I will finish what I sta
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Did you already try the -proxy: port option ?

Using that option let's me tunnel SETI through our open HTML port for example ...
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

You should check what your browser uses as its proxy settings. For Internet Explorer, you can find that in Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings. AFAIK, Seti should be able to run using those same settings. If you can't get it to work, can you tell us what IE's proxy settings are?

Martin

Comment

I think that our firewall will accept requests for port 80 access 192.168.1.9:8080 via a browser only.

I think I will need to allow access through port 80 for apps other than browsers, I'll check the manual.

Proxy user authentication is not yet switched on, so I'll get to that problem when its turned on.

Thanks for your help.

All of my cached machines have processed all of their units and are in need of nurishment.

breezer

Comment

so it should be

seti.exe -proxy 192.168.1.9:8080

did you already try that ?
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yes, that should probably work.

Seti communicates using the HTTP protocol. So if your firewall allows browsing, it should allow seti.

Martin

Comment

ok,
                  fixed it.

The firewall did only allowed connections via port 80 from browsers, any other application hitting port 80 had its packet(s) rejected.

I set up a generic tcp application proxy for outgoing port 80 requests for applications other than browsers. The port will only be open inbound (internet to seti client) for a short period of time, allowing a new work unit to be downloaded. This keeps the firewall secure.

Don't ask me how the firewall can determine wherever a request is from a browser or application it just knows.

seti -proxy myfirewall ort worked, which will allow me to change the port from 80 if need arises.

Thanks all, breezer can now crunch again.

Comment

Totally Happy to hear that you're back up and running. Wouldn't have been any fun trying to catch up with you if you went off-line!!!

------------------
                    Pushing 16.5Ghz
                    http://members.home.net/jsaid/

Comment

Working...
                    X