Should SETI play nice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should SETI play nice?

OK all you Unix Seti crunchers, I have a question. I'm running the version 3 text client on some HP 4-way compute servers. MY question is this: What does the "-nice N" command line switch do? Does this give the Seti client high CPU priority? If so, do I want to use this switch? Also, what are the drawbacks to using this switch on a 4-way server?

Thanks!

Eric
    ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Making your process 'nicer' to other processes means giving it a lower priority. The higher the nice-level you specify, the lower priority. Users with root access can also specify negative niceness levels.
    The geek shall inherit the Earth

Comment

Check the SETI @ MURC site ( http://www.pace.fsnet.co.uk/seti ) and in particular, Martin's Linux/Unix guide - he mentions it - dunno if it's helpful but it's got some other stuff you might find useful!

Paul.

------------------
      Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
      Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
      Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
      Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

By default, the client will run on "nice-level 1"; its priority is slightly lower than default. Other programs on the system will hardly be affected by the fact that seti is running.

However, if you want to make sure that system-performance is affected even less, use the "-nice" command switch. Using the last example of the previous section:
        ./setiathome -nice 19 -email &> /dev/null &
        This is how I used to run seti: it starts the client in the background, at the lowest system-priority, and drops me an e-mail if something goes wrong.
        From the guide

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Don't forget to run 4 copies - seti will only use 1 cpu otherwise.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone... So I gather from my reading of the guide that if I run Seti with "-nice 0", that will make it run at the default priority? I'd like it to have the same priority as any other application on the server.

Cheers!

Eric
            ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

I'm not a Unix-wizard, but -nice 0 should be the same as not using nice at all, therefore seti@home set it's own priority.
              I don't know that priority seti@home defaults as, but if as example seti@home has default priority -5 and normal programs starts as 0, -nice 0 should still run seti@home as -5. In this example to run seti@home as the other programs, you should use -nice -5.
              To find out that priority programs actually have, use top or another info-program.
              (I hope it was top it was called... It's a long time since I've used any form of unix.)

Comment

Um in unix lower priority means you hog more cpu... so nice 19 is the nicest (and hence lowest priority). nice -5 would probably lock out the shell you started the process from as it would hog so much cpu. :P

Comment

Yup. Be careful not to run Seti at even marginally higher priority than any other process you might need... otherwise you may very well find yourself reaching for the power switch. There is a reason why it defaults to priority 1.

Comment

Working...
                  X