cmdline-version question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cmdline-version question

Tried the seti cmd-client for win32 on my w98 gateway pc in the closet. Seems to be eating 100% cpu all the time.

It this the case? Or does it settle for the leftovers?

Don't wanna ruin my GW pece for the sake of seti... and I can't set the priority as in nt...

Hmm?

------------------
    Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/128mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5
    Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

Seti will always use all unused CPU time nomather what client(or GUI) or version you are runing! But don't worry I have yet to hear of a compter that has broken because of SETI!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Seti runs as a low priority process. It will never steal cycles from anything that is a higher priority. It will only use cycles that would otherwise be idle.

------------------
      Andrew

I will not torment the emotionally frail
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hehe, nah, I'm not worried about my machine actually breaking down... That sentence didn't work as good in english as id does in swedish =)... gets that way when you type without thinking.

What I meant was, I don't want it to steal all my GW CPU so the traffic and my firewall software slows down.

But, as long it runs on low priority (however they've managed that on w98), that shouldn't be a problem, right?
        Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

Comment

Det går bra på svenska också!

------------------
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I think it's possible to program a priority into a program but not alter afterwards in 9x.

If anyone knows how to program this in however - I WANT TO KNOW !

Paul.

------------------
            Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
            Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
            Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
            Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace have you tried setidriver?

------------------

Comment

Process Viewer (PrcView) will allow you to set priority of running apps in Win NT and Win9x. It's freeware so grab it here.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

No Guru, I'm waiting on a guide to find out about it . Anyone?

Greebe: Do you know how to program priority into an app? I've got a friend who'd really like to be able to do this!

Thanks,

Paul.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I use SetiDriver on all my machines, and it's pretty good. Very simple to use, and the lastest version (1.5.0.3, released today) seems to have fixed all the issues I had with it (had some trouble auto-upgrading the seti executable, but it's much better now). There's good documentation on the website too.

------------------
                    Andrew

I will not torment the emotionally frail
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Pace, sorry I don't program... electrical design, now that's a different story.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X