Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humph lost ~18 units!

My complaint about Seti@HOME
    This is a letter I have planned on writing for some time, a letter that I suspect is extremely important and one that surely must be heeded if we are to undo the damage caused by Seti@HOME. I guess I should start by saying that in these days of political correctness and the changing of how history is taught in schools to fulfill a particular agenda, I do not propose a supernatural solution to the problems we're having with Seti@HOME. Instead, I propose a practical, realistic, down-to-earth approach that requires only that I protect the interests of the general public against the greed and unreason of the most self-absorbed lunatics you'll ever see. I'll let you in on a little secret: Seti@HOME has been known to say that the best way to make a point is with foaming-at-the-mouth rhetoric and letters filled primarily with exclamation points. That notion is so wayward, I hardly know where to begin refuting it. Seti@HOME doesn't use words for communication or for exchanging information. It uses them to disarm, to hypnotize, to mislead, and to deceive. Admittedly, Seti@HOME is more concerned with the social acceptability of an idea than with its truth or falsity. But that's because that's just one side of the coin. The other side is that Seti@HOME has convinced a lot of people that we have no reason to be fearful about the criminally violent trends in our society today and over the past ten to fifteen years. One must pause in admiration at this triumph of media manipulation.

If Fate desired that Seti@HOME make a correct application of what it had read about solipsism, it would have to indicate title and page number, since the ill-bred organization would otherwise never in all its existence find the correct place. But since Fate does not do this, I do not appreciate being labeled. No one does. Nevertheless, we should agree on definitions before saying anything further about Seti@HOME's contumelious prank phone calls. For starters, let's say that "communism" is "that which makes Seti@HOME yearn to introduce disease, ignorance, squalor, idleness, and want into affluent neighborhoods." Seti@HOME wants us to believe that the Universe belongs to it by right. How stupid does it think we are? I mean, I would indeed like to comment on its attempt to associate gnosticism with animalism. There is no association. I indubitably hope that humanity will rid this earth of immoral knuckle-draggers with the greatest dispatch, since otherwise, the earth might well become rid of humanity.

Seti@HOME should work with us, not step in at the eleventh hour and hog all the glory. Why is it that an axiom among Seti@HOME's minions is that Seti@HOME is omnipotent? It's because what Seti@HOME is doing is not an innocent, recreational sort of thing. It is a criminal activity, it is an immoral activity, it is a socially destructive activity, and it is a profoundly sinister activity. I, hardheaded cynic that I am, have long been under the impression that Seti@HOME's goals coalesce with those of the most cruel psychopaths I've ever seen. And here, I contend, lies a clue to the intellectual vacuum so gapingly apparent in Seti@HOME's effusions. Seti@HOME's exegeses are part of a larger attack on the very notion of meritocracy and quality. Sure, it sounds incoherent. Blame that on boisterous pissants.

One can examine this from another angle, and plainly see that we should reverse the devolutionary course Seti@HOME has set for us. (Goodness knows, our elected officials aren't going to.) Even if I agreed that Seti@HOME's amoral biases were of paramount importance, it would still be the case that if one could get a Ph.D. in Maoism, Seti@HOME would be the first in line to have one. I am annoyed by the garrulous and sometimes hate-filled manifestations of rebelliousness against an inherited civilization of which Seti@HOME's lackeys do not have the slightest understanding. Not that I've come to expect any better from Seti@HOME.

So, Seti@HOME, maybe the problem is not with short-sighted refractory fault-finders, but with you. Shame on Seti@HOME for thinking that people like you and me are inconsiderate! Just wait until someone gets hurt as a result of Seti@HOME's manuscripts. Then, more people will agree that if we don't soon tell it to stop what it's doing, it will proceed with its self-indulgent grievances, considerably emboldened by our lack of resistance. We will have tacitly given it our permission to do so. Many people aren't aware of how foul Seti@HOME's self-fulfilling prophecies are, so let's present a little breakdown. First off, I and Seti@HOME part company when it comes to the issue of particularism. It feels that it has a "special" perspective on diabolism which carries with it a "special" right to rewrite and reword much of humanity's formative works to favor jingoism, while I feel that it is locked into its present course of destruction. It does not have the interest or the will to change its fundamentally unsympathetic beliefs (as I would certainly not call them logically reasoned arguments).

The main dissensus between me and Seti@HOME is that I claim that Seti@HOME's cult followers think that the masses are soulless and unfit for citizenship. It, on the other hand, contends that it is always being misrepresented and/or persecuted. This state of affairs demands the direct assault on those self-righteous diatribes that seek to traduce and discredit everyone but imprudent present-day robber barons. There are rumors circulating that Seti@HOME is secretly saying that I should just fall into the traps set for me by its bootlickers, so let me just clarify something: If history follows its course, it should be evident that when I say that I am skeptical of efforts to produce a yellow-bellied definition of "interparenthetically", this does not, I repeat, does not mean that courtesy and manners don't count for anything. This is a common fallacy held by the most pugnacious blockheads I've ever seen. Although Seti@HOME would like us to believe that impertinent utopians are more deserving of honor than our nation's war heroes, it has given us neither good reason nor credible evidence to believe that. Its disquisitions, on the other hand, give us good reason to believe that I am quite certain that misoneism is, at its core, an out-of-touch system that seeks to create new (and reinforce existing) prejudices and misconceptions. We can therefore extrapolate that Seti@HOME claims that it is not only acceptable, but indeed desirable, to humiliate, subjugate, and eventually, eliminate everyone who wants to exercise all of our basic rights to the maximum. That claim is preposterous and, to use Seti@HOME's own language, overtly impudent. No history can justify it.

It must be pointed out over and over again to Seti@HOME's acolytes and, in a broader sense, to officious feeble-minded deadbeats that I don't trust abhorrent gin-swilling paranoiacs. (Actually, all of the anxious sighing, longing, and hoping of Seti@HOME's heart is directed to a time when repressive enemies of the people can impair the practice of democracy, but that's not important now.) Mark my words: honor means nothing to Seti@HOME. Principles mean nothing to Seti@HOME. All it cares about is how to infantilize and corrupt the public. Seti@HOME is far more interested in fattening itself on the various processes of decay in our society than it is in helping us present a noble vision of who we were, who we are, and who we can potentially be. I state these facts only to give a bit of personal background as to why the reasons that it gives for its bons mots clearly do not correspond with its real motives. Well, that's a bit too general of a statement to have much meaning, I'm afraid. So let me instead explain my point as follows: Its memoranda symbolize lawlessness, violence, and misguided rebellion -- extreme liberty for a few, even if the rest of us lose more than a little freedom.

Seti@HOME's hatred knows no bounds. That shouldn't surprise you when you consider that there are some stolid sensualists who are unstable. There are also some who are patronizing. Which category does Seti@HOME fall into? If the question overwhelms you, I suggest you check "both". I pause to note that Seti@HOME's ethics are geared toward the continuation of social stratification under the rubric of "tradition." Funny, that was the same term that its yes-men once used to beat plowshares into swords. My point may be made clearer by use of an allegorical tale. Suppose a hypothetical group of three people is standing in a room. One of those people realizes that the most lascivious pamphleteers you'll ever see are receptive to Seti@HOME's abominable messages and fool easily. Another goes on and on about Seti@HOME's stentorian notions. But the third can't understand why it is not possible fully to understand the present except as a projection of the past. In this hypothetical situation, it should be obvious that Seti@HOME's scribblings have kept us separated for too long from the love, contributions, and challenges of our brothers and sisters in this wonderful adventure we share together -- life!

To be honest, anarchism is not merely an attack on our moral fiber. It is also a politically motivated attack on knowledge. Seti@HOME's promise of equality is a false one, which is another way of saying that if you've read this far, then you probably either agree with me or are on the way to agreeing with me. The simple, regrettable truth is that if we contradict Seti@HOME, we are labelled hidebound scofflaws. If we capitulate, however, we forfeit our freedoms. Foul-mouthed dopeheads tend to dismiss reason, science, and objective reality. But let's not lose perspective. If Seti@HOME continues to invade every private corner and force every thought into a foolhardy mold, I will decidedly be obliged to do something about it. And you know me: I never neglect my obligations.

"Vitriolic", "prodigal", and "raving" seem the most appropriate adjectives to describe Seti@HOME's rejoinders, to put it mildly. Don't let yourself be persuaded by wretched insolent mystics who secretly want to force us to adopt rigid social roles that compromise our inner code of ethics. In the course of my work, I regularly come in contact with spineless New Age crooks, and most of them also feel that Seti@HOME operates on an international scale to put our liberties at risk by a pernicious and tasteless rush to diminish our will to live. It's only fitting, therefore, that we, too, work on an international scale, but to clean up the country and get it back on course again. Until we address this issue, we will never move beyond it.

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

My complaint #2 about Seti@HOME
    To my many friends, both known and unknown, wherever you may be, I submit these thoughts for your consideration. First, the misinformation: Seti@HOME suggests that extremism is the only alternative to irreligionism. Where the heck did it come up with that? Here's the answer, albeit in a somewhat circuitous and roundabout style: It claims that the Queen of England heads up the international drug cartel. Predictably, it cites no hard data for that claim. This is because no such data exist. Already, some cranky libertines have begun to force us to bow down low before irritating abhorrent-types, and with terrifying and tragic results. What actions will follow from their camp is anyone's guess. Before you declare me bitter, let me assert that a hypocritical spirit is precisely the wrong spirit in which to overcome the obstacles that people like Seti@HOME establish. What's my problem, then? Allow me to present it in the form of a question: Where do bookish unruly twerps like Seti@HOME come from, and what are we going to do with them? Well, once you begin to see the light, you'll realize that Seti@HOME is typical of nutty slaves to fashion in its wild invocations to the irrational, the magic, and the fantastic to dramatize its accusations. Although the themes in Seti@HOME's obiter dicta are limited, Seti@HOME's attempts to engage in or goad others into engaging in illegal acts are much worse than mere fogyism. They are hurtful, malicious, criminal behavior and deserve nothing less than our collective condemnation.

It's not that I have anything against fault-finders in general. It's just that in these days of political correctness and the changing of how history is taught in schools to fulfill a particular agenda, if Seti@HOME would abandon its name-calling and false dichotomies, it would be much easier for me to build an inclusive, nondiscriminatory movement for social and political change.

Accordingly, Seti@HOME's idiotic claim that it can achieve its goals by friendly and moral conduct is just that, an idiotic claim. Seti@HOME maintains that the majority of self-absorbed geeks are heroes, if not saints. Perhaps it would be best for it to awaken from its delusional narcoleptic fantasyland and observe that the picture I am presenting need not be confined to its nostrums. It applies to everything Seti@HOME says and does. Wanting to replace love and understanding with masochism and unilateralism without any of the obvious repercussions is like wanting a one-sided coin. Yet I stand by what I've written before, that once you understand Seti@HOME's double standards, you have a responsibility to do something about them. To know, to understand, and not to act, is an egregious sin of omission. It is the sin of silence. It is the sin of letting Seti@HOME subvert time-tested societal norms. There is no place in this country where we are safe from Seti@HOME's lickspittles, no place where we are not targeted for hatred and attack. I may not believe that human life is expendable, but I really do insist that what we're involved in with it is not a game. It's the most serious possible business, and every serious person -- every person with any shred of a sense of responsibility -- must concern himself with it.

Seti@HOME thinks that an open party with unlimited access to alcohol can't possibly outgrow the host's ability to manage the crowd. Of course, thinking so doesn't make it so. Seti@HOME would not hesitate to twist the truth if it felt it could benefit from doing so. To put it another way, Seti@HOME is locked into its present course of destruction. It does not have the interest or the will to change its fundamentally hopeless commentaries.

As I often like to put it, there are some barbaric swindlers who are scummy. There are also some who are malignant. Which category does Seti@HOME fall into? If the question overwhelms you, I suggest you check "both". Seti@HOME will force some to live by restrictive standards not applicable to others eventually -- not necessarily by direct action, but by convincing its apostles to block streets and traffic to the extent that ambulances can't get through.

Think about that for a moment. You may not understand this now, and I don't fault you for that, but there are those who are informed and educated about the evils of priggism, and there are those who are not. Seti@HOME is one of the uninformed, naturally, and that's why it maintains that psychotic anal-retentive paper-pushers are more deserving of honor than our nation's war heroes. This is hardly the case. Rather, there is growing evidence that says, to the contrary, that if you've read this far, then you probably either agree with me or are on the way to agreeing with me. Make special note of that point, because Seti@HOME would have us believe that it understands the difference between civilization and savagery. That, of course, is nonsense, total nonsense. But Seti@HOME is surrounded by disreputable shirkers who parrot the same nonsense, which is why it argues that my bitterness at it is merely the latent projection of libidinal energy stemming from self-induced anguish. I wish I could suggest some incontrovertible chain of apodictic reasoning that would overcome this argument, but the best I can do is the following: If we can understand what has caused the current plague of impolitic administrators, I believe that we can then end its control over the minds and souls of countless people. Although theoretical differences can be drawn between Seti@HOME's saturnine artifices and refractory dishonest jujuism, these are distinctions without a difference. Honor means nothing to Seti@HOME. Principles mean nothing to Seti@HOME. All it cares about is how to give immoral scofflaws far more credibility than they deserve.

It saddens me that I feel no more personal hatred for Seti@HOME than I might feel for a herd of wild animals or a cluster of poisonous reptiles. One does not hate those whose souls can exude no spiritual warmth; one pities them. I happen to believe that Seti@HOME's publications mean delays in getting things processed, errors in handling requests, inefficiency, and many more years of error from keeping an old system alive. To top that off, life isn't fair. We've all known this since the beginning of time, so why is Seti@HOME so compelled to complain about situations over which it has no control? To ask that question another way, in view of Seti@HOME's oppressive quips, what does it make sense for us to do now? The answer is obvious if you understand that Seti@HOME's idea of a good time is to deny us the opportunity to expand people's understanding of Seti@HOME's hostile musings. (Actually, the similarities between Seti@HOME and abysmal sluggards should not be taken lightly, but that's not important now.)

Seti@HOME's propaganda machine once said that Seti@HOME would never use cheap, intemperate propaganda to arouse the passions of the worst kinds of prolix liars and cheats there are. So much for credibility! Following this line of logic, it would appear that I find that I am embarrassed. Embarrassed that some people just don't realize that Seti@HOME's memoranda have kept us separated for too long from the love, contributions, and challenges of our brothers and sisters in this wonderful adventure we share together -- life! By and large, if Seti@HOME wants to be taken seriously, it should counter the arguments in this letter with facts, not illogical panaceas, personal anecdotes, or insults. Malign bureaucrats (like Seti@HOME) are not born -- they are excreted. However unsavory that metaphor may be, Seti@HOME is the picture of the insane person on the street, babbling to a tree, a wall, or a cloud, which cannot and does not respond to its epithets.

I don't care what others say about Seti@HOME. It's still sex-crazed, grungy, and it intends to lead people towards iniquity and sin. Contrast, for example, Seti@HOME's expedients with those of worthless cowards, and observe that there is no contrast. I, by (genuine) contrast, take the view that Seti@HOME has a strategy. Its strategy is to blitz media outlets with faxes and newsletters that highlight the good points of its pusillanimous recommendations. Wherever you encounter that strategy, you are dealing with Seti@HOME.

Now, why all this fuss about a few wretched refrains? Simply put, it's because if Fate desired that Seti@HOME make a correct application of what it had read about propagandism, it would have to indicate title and page number, since the prurient organization would otherwise never in all its existence find the correct place. But since Fate does not do this, I need your help if I'm ever to get my message about Seti@HOME out to the world. "But I'm only one person," you might protest. "What difference can I make?" The answer is: a lot more than you think. You see, I didn't want to talk about this. I really didn't. But Seti@HOME plans to panic irrationally and overreact completely. It has instructed its functionaries not to discuss this or even admit to its plan's existence. Obviously, Seti@HOME knows it has something to hide. As I've said before, Seti@HOME has gotten away with so much for so long that it's lost all sense of caution, all sense of limits. If you think about it, only an organization without any sense of limits could desire to reduce social and cultural awareness to a dictated set of guidelines to follow. In the beginning of this letter, I promised you details, but now I'm running out of space. So here's one detail to end with: The worst types of yellow-bellied nobodies there are speak in order to conceal -- or at least to veil -- their thoughts.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 10 October 2000).]
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Psst - Guru! Can you shorten the "AARRGGHH!!" please as this thread now only fits on a 1600x1200 screen!

I just transferred your entire transcript into a text file - and it came to 20Kb - Go Guru! (I'll read it once you've made this change )

Paul.

------------------
      Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
      Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
      Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
      Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Server is back on line! WHAT THE **** ARE THEY USING A MOTHE****ING 14.4K MOTHE****ING MODEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE SAT HERE FOR 4 ****ING HOURS SHIT! I WILL KILL SOME ONE SOON IN THIS ****""""""# U(()==)(/(/öligjsölä ****!

Comment

Feel anothe ****ing one coming!

My complaint about Seti@HOME
          Parts of what follows below were actually painful to write. However, because of the ongoing misinformation campaigns launched by Seti@HOME and its shills, I feel it is my duty to write this. Read on, gentle reader, and hear what I have to say. Many people respond to Seti@HOME's semi-intelligible reinterpretations of historic events in much the same way that they respond to television dramas. They watch them; they talk about them; but they feel no overwhelming compulsion to do anything about them. That's why I insist we step back and consider the problem of Seti@HOME's prognoses in the larger picture of popular culture imagery. Seti@HOME believes that it is merely trying to make this world a better place in which to live. Sorry, but I have to call foul on that one. Some people say that that isn't sufficient evidence to prove that Seti@HOME is secretly scheming to destroy the lives of good, honest people. And I must agree; one needs much more evidence than that. But the evidence is there, for anyone who isn't afraid to look at it. Just look at the way that it frequently progresses into displays of authority it doesn't have. I challenge it to move from its broad derogatory generalizations to specific instances to prove otherwise.

Given Seti@HOME's propensity for repression in the service of paradigmatic integrity, it is little wonder that now is the time to redefine the rhetoric and make room for meaningful discussion -- and Seti@HOME knows it. Seti@HOME plans to peddle the snake oil of atrabilious fickle recidivism. It has instructed its loyalists not to discuss this or even admit to its plan's existence. Obviously, Seti@HOME knows it has something to hide.

Although Seti@HOME is only one turd floating in the moral cesspool that our society has become, you may make the comment, "What does this have to do with disruptive freeloaders?" Well, once you begin to see the light, you'll realize that time cannot change its behavior. Time merely enlarges the field in which Seti@HOME can, with ever-increasing intensity and thoroughness, biologically or psychologically engineer deluded fatuous dunderheads to make them even more uncontrollable than they already are. As someone who is working hard to establish democracy and equality, I must point out that I'm not a psychiatrist. Sometimes, though, I wish I were, so that I could better understand what makes organizations like Seti@HOME want to sugarcoat the past and dispense false optimism for the future.

Seti@HOME obviously didn't have to pass an intelligence test to get to where it is today, because its knowledge of how things work is completely off the mark. First of all, if it can't stand the heat, it should get out of the kitchen.

Seti@HOME's latest manifesto, like all the ones that preceded it, is a consummate anthology of disastrously bad writing teeming with misquotations and inaccuracies, an odyssey of anecdotes that are occasionally entertaining, but certainly not informative. Even though I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke Seti@HOME to tour the country promoting disgraceful fanaticism in lectures and radio talk show interviews, this does not negate the fact that it must be pointed out that being shielded from the consequences of its bad judgment and bad behavior has made it careless. To cap that off, its insults are made of the same spirit that accounts for the majority of the problems we face in this world, and everyone with half a brain understands that. It's irrelevant that my allegations are 100% true. Seti@HOME distrusts my information and arguments and will forever maintain its current opinions.

The worst classes of impetuous smut peddlers there are are sharply focused on an immediate goal: to obfuscate the issue so that one can't see what ought to be entirely obvious to all. Seti@HOME's principles are ugly to the core. In fact, I have said that to Seti@HOME on many occasions, and I will keep on saying it until it stops trying to gag free speech. Unfortunately, Seti@HOME's ribald lackluster rodomontades neglect to take one important factor into consideration: human nature.

You may be picking up on something here in all of my responses to Seti@HOME's arrogant expostulations. All of my responses presume that Seti@HOME's older conjectures were primitive enough. Its latest ones are decidedly beyond the pale. In a manner of speaking, all the deals Seti@HOME makes are strictly one-way. Seti@HOME gets all the rights, and the other party gets all the obligations. Seti@HOME wants to replace love and understanding with neocolonialism and sadism. What's wrong with that? What's wrong is Seti@HOME's grasp of reality.

Just don't expect consistency from a organization that is utterly and indeed pea-brained. I just want to say that it behooves all of us to understand that another point worth thinking about is that Seti@HOME's purpose is not to enlighten, but to deceive. The best example of this, culled from many, would have to be the time Seti@HOME tried to call for a return to that which wasn't particularly good in the first place. This much is clear: I wonder what would happen if Seti@HOME really did use mass organization as a system of integration and control. There's a spooky thought.

Isn't it true that Seti@HOME leaves me no choice but to feel disconnected from reality? If that's not true, tell me why not. One of Seti@HOME's cat's-paws once said, "It's okay for Seti@HOME to indulge its every whim and lust without regard for anyone else or for society as a whole." Now that's pretty funny, of course, but I didn't include that quote just to make you laugh. I included it to convince you that if Seti@HOME had even a shred of intellectual integrity, it'd admit that I try never to argue with it, because it's clear it's not susceptible to reason.

Seti@HOME's teachings are a cancer that is slowly eating away at our flesh, to put it mildly. Are you still with me? Be forewarned: Ignorance is bliss. This may be why Seti@HOME's adulators are generally all smiles. Whether or not you realize this, Seti@HOME says that those who disagree with it should be cast into the outer darkness, should be shunned, should starve. Wow! Isn't that like hiding the stolen goods in the closet and, when the cops come in, standing in front of the closet door and exclaiming, "They're not in here!"? Okay, I've vented enough frustration. So let me end by saying that it is apparent where Seti@HOME's loyalties lie.

------------------

Comment

I don't buy a word of any of this. Condense it to 20 words or less.

"It's still sex-crazed, grungy, and it intends to lead people towards iniquity and sin."

???????????

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 11 October 2000).]

Comment

LOL, it looks like someone has found the automatic complaint generator again

Comment

Comment

Guru -- It has become apparent that you must have 1 or more of the following:

(1) way too much time on your hands,
                  (2) a terrible Seti addiction, or
                  (3) some interesting drugs.

Comment

Added to one of the above:
                    (4) Haven't the insight to cache wu for downtimes.
                    or (5) Used wrong cache-program, and it gobbled up all results.

Comment

Working...
                    X