Ees - changed my nickname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ees - changed my nickname

Ees, just for your reference in doing the stats, I changed my nickname in seti from my full name "Andrew Gallagher" to my murc name agallag. I hope this doesn't cause you too many problems.

------------------
    Andrew

I will not torment the emotionally frail
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

How many units did you have when you changed your nic? I'm only asking because otherwise I don't know how many units you have crunshd this week!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I believe I was at 1789.

------------------
      Andrew

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

...but can't you just take "Andrew Gallagher"'s total from yesterday, and compare with "agallag"'s total next sunday? You use SetiTeam right? So I assume you've got the complete list saved from last night.

------------------
        Andrew

Comment

Yes I do and yes I have! I'm just doubel checking! Right now the prog says "a.g" left with 1657 WU's and that "a" joined with 1790!

------------------
          Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Excellent...

------------------
            Andrew

Comment

I don't think it causes much problems because he did do it for me (when I capitalised the P in pace3000) - I could be wrong though and he might've went to a big effort for me !

Where is he anyway - not been around here much!

Paul.

------------------
              Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
              Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
              Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
              Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I emailed him too, not to worry...

------------------
                Andrew

Comment

No problem at all:

update stats_individual set name="agallag" where name="Andrew Gallagher";
                  Query OK, 7444 rows affected (1 min 5.70 sec)
                  Rows matched: 7444 Changed: 7444 Warnings: 0

That's all. Thanks for letting me know!

Martin

Comment

Thanks dude

------------------
                    Andrew

Comment

You're welcome.

Bonus question for the color TV: what gross inefficiency does this demonstrate in my database?

Martin

Comment

Um, I'm not a big database expert, but I think it's a bad idea to use something like a username as the unique identifier. Should be something else that can never change. Am I even close?

------------------
                        Andrew

Comment

Well, that's a bit of an annoyance too, but there's not much I can do about it (it's the only semi-unique identifier I get from seti, since I don't have access to the e-mail addresses).

The problem is that the username is stored in each and every database-record. Approximately 550 of them, each hour.

What I should really do is make a separate "names" table, and link to that from the stats-table. That way, only the indexes are stored; a bit more efficient storage-wise...

Martin
                          (Glad I'm not losing my color TV )

Comment

Working...
                          X