g200 marvel drivers for w2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g200 marvel drivers for w2000

So... I assume Matrox got production of the G400 w2000 driver up fastest as it is the hot product. Does anyone know if Marvel drivers are far behind? Will the posted w2000 driver for the G200 Millenium work on the Marvel without Video tools?

Also... I am running dual monitors using a G200 Marvel and a Millenium 2 with the unified NT driver 3.68. I thought they were supposed to be different chipsets but it works fine. Any ideas whether this will work with w2000 or will I have to upgrade the Millenium 2 to a plain vanilla G200 to use two monitors? Any ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks
    Wayne

See this reply I received from Matrox today
    FEB 24 2000

Subject: Re: Matrox Powerdesk and Display Properties

Hello,

Unfortunately we still do not offer any support for this OS as we have no
    final drivers released at this time. Complete drivers will be out shortly
    with full support when using the final release of the OS. In the meantime,
    please be sure to have the latest beta drivers from our web page for all
    G200 and G400 cards and use the Windows 2000 internal drivers for all our
    older cards (do not install drivers for NT4 or win9x into this OS). You
    will be able to find some help in forums such as www.murc.ws while
    waiting for our release drivers to be released. The latest beta drivers for
    the G200 and G400 will include D3D and OpenGL functionality.

As for multi monitor support under windows2000, this OS treats the display
    adapter per devices and not as two separate devices. Our G400 will
    unfortunately only work as a virtual desktop for this time. Microsoft
    should fix this issue in the next service pack to give these cards full
    Multi monitor support.

Best Regards

John
    LB2K =~

Comment

Thanks, that was very helpful. If I extrappolate this information correctly, the G200 driver using virtual desktop mode should work for both monitors. Maybe I will just take the plunge and see how it goes... Anyone actually tried a multiple monitor setup with w2000? I would be interested in hearing your results.

Wayne

Comment

Multi-monitor support is why I moved from NT4 to Win2000.

I had two ATI RagePro turbo cards running 1152x864 on 17" as primary and 1600x1200 on a 21" as secondary both in 32-bit under win98 for photoshop.

These ATI cards don't support multimon under w2k and their people have lame excuses for why they can't do it. If these reasons are true, ATI cards are fundamentally poorly designed, in any case they are off my buy list forever for either poor support or poor design -- doesn't really matter.

I picked up a TNT2 since it was on the multimon supported list and in stock at the first store I stopped at. Worked but the display quality sucked at 1600x1200, but acceptable at 1152x864. I returned it and got a Voodoo3 2000PCI (also was cheaper!). Its better at 1600x1200 that the ATI was on win98. As primary dispaly you can use any win2k supported card. I've had AIWPro, TNT2, Stealth 3D 3000, as primary while testing things. All worked OK. No TV or capture support for AIWPro.

Multi-mon combined with the new "hibernation" shutdown feature rules!

Waiting for Marvel G200 driver and video tools.

--wally.

Comment

Thanks Wally. Have you (or anyone else) ever used a marvel G200 Marvel in a dual monitor config? Both with matrox boards and other manufacturers'?

Wayne

Comment

Hi All,

Watch out here.
            Matrox in the past have told me that no way would 2 Matrox cards work under Win98 and allow Video Capture to work as well.....
            I have a Matrox Marvel G200 and would love to have dual display....

If you know better please share how to do this in Win98..

Cheers
            John.

Comment

I have been using the unified driver on NT for a Marvel G200 and a Millenium 2 with no vid capture. This is less than the best video image (probably becasue the driver is Millenium 2 era) but at least I have 2 monitors. Don't know about 98, it is supposed to be better at 2 monitors though... Are you saying that even with another g200 chip card I won't be able to get vid cap with two monitors? Maybe it's time for another flare into the Matrox e-mail ether...

Wayne

Comment

Working...
              X