Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How critical is signal strength for the RR-G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How critical is signal strength for the RR-G?

Is the RR-G tuner more susceptible to a weak cable signal than a normal tv? I'm trying to figure out why I can't get a decent picture now that I have an approved power supply.

I can't say for sure, but me and my friend have a splitter connected to a source. His goes to a TV and mine goes to my RRG. His TV definately has better reception on several channels. Coincidence, or part of some sort of orginization's evil consipiracy to take over the world? you be the judge.

coolfish.

Comment

Many consumer devices have non-compliant vidouts and this can adversly affect the performance of not only the RRG but the Marvels and the old RRS. This is far more common than you might think and cable isn't excluded.

I learned this the hard way when I found out my Sony Hi8 has a low output on it's vidout. Often the color would go to B&W during captures. Putting the cams output on the scope revealed the cause.

Adding an inline video amp fixed the problem.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 02 March 2000).]

Comment

I'm not sure but imho it could be because of poor tuning of the RR to the right frequencies. I bougth a marvel only recently and by using the autoscan I could not get all available channels, and for some of the ones that were detected the reception was poor. I searched up the exact frequencies and 'hacked' the registry to use these frequencies. Result: I have now all channels tuned with very comparable quality as on TV.
        I've sent an excel sheet to our moderator which can be used to convert the channel frequencies into a registry hack, perhaps he might post it somewhere. Or if somebody is interested I could e-mail it.

Mark.
        AMD-K6-2-300, EPOX-58MVP3C-M,
        Marvel G400, 64MB+64MB(PC100+PC133), Maxtor DM40PLUS 30GB,
        W98 (no SE), currently no overclocking (FSB=100)

Comment

This was discussed briefly elsewhere - there was also some speculation that there is some radio interference for the RR-G, as it's inside the computer and nearby the power supply. If it's a myth though, I wouldn't mind some suggestions how to get a better signal through my RR-G. Right now it's a decent picture, but if I want to watch TV I'll go into the living room to watch on the 32".

- Aryko

Comment

Working...
          X