Fun and games with an NT proxy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun and games with an NT proxy!

Ok - I've got a friend with 3 P2s behind a proxy and I can't get it to work!

seti.exe -proxy 192.168.55.1:8080 and
    seti.exe -proxy machinename:8080 both failed. I got these settings from Internet Explorer so that is the proxies name and IP.

Anyone know of any reason why this isn't working?

I've thought of 3:
    1. It's SOCKS
    2. Crap proxy (CProxy)
    3. Wrong hostname/port - but I've now checked this to be ok.

Ideally I'd like a quick fix for this (auto-detect?) or a small app which will detect the settings.

TIA, Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
    Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

No quick fix here, but it's very easy to determine if it's a Socks proxy.

In the "advanced" part of Internet settings where you got the name of the proxy there will be a list of proxies for HTTP, Secure, FTP, Gopher and Socks. Whatever it says next to HTTP is your standard HTTP proxy (they only come in one type).

If it says anything next to HTTP, it shouldn't say anything next to Socks, and vice versa. Socks proxies suck... it's pretty much in the name!

Comment

¨Kruse why don't you write a "SETI&Proxy's" guide!?! Just mail it to Pace!

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

That port number looks like a socks proxy. A normal HTTP proxy is on port 80 (doesn't have to be, but commonly is).
        Try starting seti with the -socks_server line instead of -proxy

------------------
        P3-700E@933, Abit BF6, G400 MAX, 8.6 gig Seagate, 8.6 gig WD, SBLive 1024, 256Mb PC133... Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse, Keyb, Stuff

Comment

Hmm Guru... I might... although it seems like Raptor^ knows more about it than I do.

What should it say besides "Socks proxies suck!"?

Comment

Socks proxys rule actually. What can you do with an http proxy... surf the net. What can you do with a socks proxy... anything. They allow any sort of connection - they RULE.

Alos 8080 is a common HTTP proxy port, Socks normally sits on 1080.

Comment

Being a future computer security expert, that's one of the major things I have against Socks. A simple HTTP proxy is a very small piece of software which can easily be secured, whereas I've never heard of a secure Socks proxy...

Comment

I don't see why not, you can limit the ips that can connect the the proxy, you can have username/password authentication, how much more security do you need. You can't have username/password auth on any http proxy I've ever heard of.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going on a short holiday next week and having the owners of the machines will be coming up for a LAN game just after that - I'll get the setting hopefully then and try to configure them as well.

Paul.

------------------
                  Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
                  Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
                  Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
                  Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Butcher, I was referring to bugs and loopholes in the proxy program, not to the kind of security measures built into it.

Every programmer (and most other people by now) knows that the amount of bugs increase exponentially with the complexity of a program. A full-blown HTTP 1.1 proxy need not be bigger than 2-3 KB. Socks proxies are hundreds of times bigger than that.

Comment

2-3K?! Since when was any proxy program 2-3K! I don't have figures for any HTTP proxies. but the socks server I tend to use is only 137K, which isn't really a big program. Most HTTP proxies are in fact much more complex than socks proxies as they do all sorts of caching and suchlike.

Comment

By the way butcher, you can get HTTP proxies that require authentication. We use one at work, and it's been the reason why I put off running seti at work for so long.

Until I found a little gem of a program called proxomitron that is. It basically sets up a little http proxy on your local machine. Seti now communicates with the local proxy, and proxomitron is able to authenticate to the http proxy on the firewall. So now I'm screaming up the charts with my pile of xeons.

------------------
                        Andrew

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 21 September 2000).]
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I said "need not", not "can not". I would never have a firewall proxy do caching, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

And yes, I have worked with an HTTP proxy on about 3 KB. The wonderful thing about it was that it only took half an hour to verify that the souce code did not contain any "unnecessary features".

Comment

Heh, with that little code you'd definately not have uneccessary features...

Comment

Working...
                            X