Poor seti performace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor seti performace

My home computer (P3/667EB, 256Mb, etc.) seems to run seti really slowly - about 10 hours / work unit. Any ideas why? Or how to fix? I can't change the memory timings, the motherboard doesn't allow it sadly. But I'm open to other suggestions

Which client do you use?

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team!
    View the exciting stats
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I'm using the cli client v2.4 iirc.

My motherboard is an i820 board, sdram runs at 100MHz

Comment

There must be something wrong, because with the 2.4 cli client I get about 9-9.5 hours on my P2-350, and about 7.5-8 hour on my P3-650 CuMine laptop (both running PC-100 ram, one with 192MB, other with 256MB).

------------------
        Andrew
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

820 mb= poor memory performance. No fix for that! Ar you runing a 667MHz CPU @ 100MHz FSB that would make it run @500MHz (ave times should be ~8H) Have you tryed the 2.70 beta? It should lower your times a bit!

BTW agallag it's not the size of the ram that counts it's the SPEED

------------------
          Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I think the i820 runs SDRAM asymmetric, thus the 100MHz.

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team!
            View the exciting stats
            P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
            Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Yeah guru, I only mentioned the size of the ram because he did. It's definitely affected more by the speed.

By the way, the i820 with the MTH for SDRAM support can only run PC100 SDRAM, it can't run PC133. It does run asymetrically though, so the processor is still able to run at it's full 667MHz. Assuming it's not busy rebooting due to the MTH bug.

Why don't you return your board for a new one with a load of free RDRAM, Butcher? All i820 boards with the MTH were recalled you know...

Edit: fixed some typos
              ------------------
              Andrew

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 13 September 2000).]
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

The higher the FSB the lower the work unit time.

Using client v2.70 on my p3 550@770 fsb 140 the average workunit time is about 4 h 30 min. Best time is 3 h 46 min.

The interresting thing is Win ME.
                When I used client 2.04 my average work unit time dropped around 20 mins when switching from win98 SE to Win ME.
                I have no idea why.....
                Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Ten hours seems a little long, even on a Cape Cod platform. Maybe Butcher's GUI client settings could use some tweaking. Or maybe a switch to the commandline client would help.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

What mb are you using?

------------------
                    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
                    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Got a website or something with details on how to return my motherboard? The whole thing is pretty toasted, secndary IDE controller semi-fried, FDC totally fried... and these are things that have been wrong from the start not me ****ing it over.

As for speed, yes it's asymmetric, the cpu runs on a 133 clock, the memory on a 100 clock.

Comment

Returns are handled by the manufacturer of the board. What brand is it?

Comment

It's a SuperMicro board

Comment

Working...
                          X