X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come get your 2.70 GUI beta RIGHT HERE

Faster than CLI 2.04! http://www.riddlermarc.freeuk.com/se...e_win_2_70.exe

EDIT : FIXED LINK!

OH BTW this is still the fatest version for Coppermines and AMD CPU's!

------------------
    PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE, HOTROD-UDMA66
    Join the MURC SETI team!

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 07 September 2000).]
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

hmmm 2.4 you mean (nitpicky remark I know).
    I tried the 2.71 beta, but that was very inconsistent in times (some new analysiseses (err) I think).
    I know that S@H will accept the WUs, but is it "legit" if you're not a beta tester???

Kim

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team!

View the exciting stats
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Good work Guru, I thank you for that.

Mega
      K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
      G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Originally posted by Sisyfos:
        hmmm 2.4 you mean (nitpicky remark I know).
        I tried the 2.71 beta, but that was very inconsistent in times (some new analysiseses (err) I think).
        I know that S@H will accept the WUs, but is it "legit" if you're not a beta tester???

Kim

The 2.7 is faster then the 2.71! Don,t know if its "legit"!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

My view is as long as it's unaltered from SETI, it's legit.

Comment

Also the beta status is probably concerning how well it fares on the end-users computer, and not wether the returned results are valid.

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team!

View the exciting stats
            P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
            Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

The point with beta is to check out that everything is working as it should, and fix problems that may arise.

I will not recommend anyone using ver. 2.70, since it has some known bugs corrected in ver. 2.71
              Notably: Missing part of the science calculations.
              Wu with low angle-range is very slow.
              Fixed some of the client restarts on partially crunched units.

A new beta version is probably out later today, fixing more bugs.

Comment

So where is(are) the more updated beta(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Rattledagger:
                  The point with beta is to check out that everything is working as it should, and fix problems that may arise.

I will not recommend anyone using ver. 2.70, since it has some known bugs corrected in ver. 2.71
                  Notably: Missing part of the science calculations.
                  Wu with low angle-range is very slow.
                  Fixed some of the client restarts on partially crunched units.

A new beta version is probably out later today, fixing more bugs.
                  1. True 2.71 has more bug fixes!
                  2. I recomend using 2.70 since it is faster!
                  3. It is not missing parts of the science calculations compared to the ver. 2 client! But ver 2.71 is checking som new sort of data and that is why it's slower!
                  4. 2.72 will be out tomorow and will be the last beta befrore ver. 3 final!
                  5. I don't recomend changing to ver. 2.71, 2.72 or 3 before we have to because they are slower then ver 2.4!

Guru

------------------
                  Join the MURC SETI team!

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 22 August 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Guru:
                    1. True 2.71 has more bug fixes!
                    2. I recomend using 2.70 since it is faster!
                    3. It is not missing parts of the science calculations compared to the ver. 2 client! But ver 2.71 is checking som new sort of data and that is why it's slower!
                    4. 2.72 will be out tomorow and will be the last beta befrore ver. 3 final!
                    5. I don't recomend changing to ver. 2.71, 2.72 or 3 before we have to because they are slower then ver 2.4!
                    1: Since more bug-fixes, lesser chance to run into problems and crashes/corrupted results.

2: Faster? I took a look on my results with the beta-versions. Beta 2.66 was terribly slow, no comment here. Beta 2.70 is faster than 2.71, but still slower than cmd-2.04
                    I've got the following results:
                    cmd-2.04 (major ver. 2, minor ver. 4):
                    131 results, cpu-time 1673,60h; run-time 841,5h; cpu 12,78h/wu; run-time 6,42h/wu
                    gui-2.70: 9 results, run-time 126,29h; 14,03h/wu
                    gui-2.71: 25 results, run-time 377,92h; 15,12h/wu

As result, gui-2.71 uses 7,8% longer per wu, while gui-2.70 uses 9,8% more than cmd-2.04; well, actually 118,5% more since this is dual-machine.
                    So for me cmd-version is desidedly faster than gui-2.70

4: Well, 2.71 was also slated as last-before-ver.3

3&5: Since the whole point with seti@home is the science, I will strongly recommend upgrading to ver. 3 then it's released, and not then you're forced to upgrade.
                    Besides, the added time from 2.70 to 2.71 is smaller than from cmd-2.04 to 2.70, so then jumping to beta I can't see any reason to stop with 2.70 and not the latest.

Either keep using the 2.0x-clients while waiting for ver. 3, or use the last awailable beta.

Comment

Guru - The site you referenced no longer accepts downloads. Must have gotten alot of pings.

Comment

My WU times are terrible with this beta. TERRIBLE FAST !!!! Before I crunched WU's in about 6 and a half hours, that was with the gui Client. Now i have times of about 4 and a half hours! Sometimes it is even only 4 hrs!
                        Now my thunderbird get's the attention it deserves.

Mega
                        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                        G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Rattledagger! What computer are you runing that on? It lowerd the average times om my katmais by 1.5h and on my cumines by 2.5h!
                          BTW here are some DURON & TBIRD seti times with beta 2.70 !http://www.hardocp.com/articles/amd/ciwsdvstbird2.html

------------------
                          Join the MURC SETI team!

Comment

Brian R here is a new BETA link http://www.riddlermarc.freeuk.com/se...e_win_2_70.exe

------------------
                            Join the MURC SETI team!

Comment

Guru - The TBird and Duron times you referenced are in line with what I'm seeing with my 960 MHz PIII (800@120). I'm faster to the extent you'd expect from the difference in cpu speed (3.7 - 3.9 hours). My PIII Klamath (600@672) is running 4.2 - 4.3 hours. With the older client, they were identical.

Comment

Working...
                              X