Why is my computer so slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my computer so slow?

I just discovered MURC recently and reading about SETI@MURC I was persuaded to try it.

I have completed 5 data units so far, average over 10 hours each. In fact most have taken over 12 hours but 1 completed in 7 hours for some reason.

Judging by what I have read I was expecting to be much quicker than this - around 6 or 7 hours.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks

------------------
    P111 667 (133x5), Tyan S1854 Trinity 400, 128Mb PC133, G400 MAX
    XP1800+ MSI 746Ultra 256Mb Corsair PC2700 MSI GF4800SE SBLive! WD 80GB 7200 DVD CDRW

First of all welcome!

I am working with Guru at the moment to get a Seti guide up on my site for all MURCers but try checking this <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000203.html">thread</a>.

Let us know what operating system you are using and what Seti client you are using. There is a graphical version which in some cases is faster but on the whole, most people find the commandline version faster (text-only).

Level 2 cache also has a big impact - a 1MB cache is highly desirable (as the Seti stuff can fit in 1Mb) and it's size more than speed that counts (well up to 1Mb anyway)

You might want to try upping the CAS on your RAM (from 3 to 2 in the BIOS) and other little tweaks here and there - mentioned in previous threads.

As I say - the optimisation guide should be up soon (how soon Guru? ) but you can read back old threads or run a search.

Stick with us and we'll get you boosted!

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network:
    Arena | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
    Join SETI@MURC! | Boost SETI@MURC! (coming soon to the 'Arena' site)
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

First of all, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

I did read the other thread, honest! I was unsure whether to post a reply in there or start a new thread but I think I have tried everything in the other thread.

FSB is 133Mhz, all shadowing / cacheing is disabled in BIOS. I have tried setting my CAS latency to 2 but this causes my system to become unstable. My RAM is generic (unbranded) and only rated at CAS 3 for 133 MHz (see also my post in the general hardware forum). I know I need some new RAM but that will have to wait until after payday! The processor is a coppermine so I assume the L2 latency is set to 0, how can I check this?

I am running Win98 v4.10.1998. Graphical? SETI version 2.04. How do I get / use the CLI version? Didn't I see somowhere someone said this doesn't work with Win98? Will I keep the work I have already done if I change version?

By upping cache do you mean processor cache? If so I can't change this without changing the processor? I read somewhere about 'cacheing' improving the performance of SETI. Is there some way to enable cacheing in system RAM through software?

Once again, thanks for all the tips!

I am off to 'join up' now.

------------------
      P111 667 (133x5), Tyan S1854 Trinity 400, 128Mb PC133, G400 MAX
      XP1800+ MSI 746Ultra 256Mb Corsair PC2700 MSI GF4800SE SBLive! WD 80GB 7200 DVD CDRW

Comment

You'll keep your units when you change version.

My comment about the processor cache was just a general one - sorry! I know you can't upgrade the L2 cache but 256K cache holds back the CuMine's a little.

The caching I think you are referring to is a work unit cache - this means you can have multiple units all ready to be (batch) processed. So you can leave your machine for a day, come back and then upload, say, 3 units at a time. This also helps when the Seti server is down so you can still be processing units until the cache runs out. I use a weeks supply (15 units) on my P2-350 and upload almost every day (meaning I've always got 4-5 days to work on).

Once again, I'll have a batch installer on my site which will create the cache and process.bat and send.bat files for you. In the meantime you can try out the commandline version from <a href="ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/setiathome/setiathome-2.4.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe">here</a> or go to the 'Files>Other' section on my site and download an appropriate cache installer.

Instructions for Seti@Pace installer are:
        1. Download cache##.exe
        2. Run it.
        3. Delete the user_info.sah (unless you want to crunch units for me )
        4. Run create##.bat
        5. Then send##.bat
        6. Then run crunch##.bat to process units and use the send file every time your on the net.

Again, I plan to upload versions of this that don't default to my MURC account once I get FTP up and running.

I've yet to test this in Windows 98 but if you understand the batches you can edit them slightly (as I think the change dir statements don't work in 9x).

Mirrors for the commandline are <a href="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html">here</a> - use i386-winnt-cmdline.exe

To find out where you are in the MURC team then Ees (Martin) runs the <a href="http://seti.matroxusers.com">stats page</a>. Only ranks 1-300 are given but it shouldn't take long for you to hit 300th place (~40 units). Here are ranks <a href="http://seti.matroxusers.com/cgi-bin/murc?days=7&low=295&high=300&order=rank">295-300</a> and you can click for a performance graph too. We've got Ees to thank for all that and he posts stats in here too (as you might see from the other threads).

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace the guide will be ready tonight!

------------------
          PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE, HOTROD-UDMA66
          Join the MURC SETI team!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Ok Guru !

And have you seen TAs site? I've not looked around too much but it looks pretty helpful. Maybe we could get something similar going...

Paul.

------------------
            Pace3000 Network:
            Join SETI@MURC! | Boost SETI@MURC! (coming soon to the 'Arena' site)
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pace:

And have you seen TAs site? I've not looked around too much but it looks pretty helpful. Maybe we could get something similar going...

Paul.

Do you mean this? http://hobbitt.worldkey.net/~seti
              I think we can do better than that!
              Oh btw check your mail!

------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Yea - got it Guru!

Must we compete with TA in the website department too? Oh well... My sig has had a slight update and I'll get the guide up soon.

I'm actually excited about getting all this together, hehe, mmm, childish competition!

Paul.

------------------
                Pace3000 Network:
                Join SETI@MURC! | Boost SETI@MURC!
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace: Martin has extended the stats to include all members.

Seaspray: Welcome to our fabulous team. With which name did you join?
                  As a reference my main computer P3 750@1005 is doing WUs in ~4h.30m pretty consistently with CLi client 2.4. My second P3 650@806 is crunching at ~5h.30m. These times are with nothing but CLi taking valuable CPU cycles.

Kim

------------------
                  Join the MURC SETI team!

View the exciting stats
                  P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                  Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Ok, thanks Kim.

Paul.

PS: I'm replying quickly at the moment!
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Sisyfos! Try the 2.70 Beta it will lower your times by 1-2h!

------------------
                      Join the MURC SETI team!

Comment

Where do you get the 2.70 beta?

Paul.
                        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

http://www.riddlermarc.freeuk.com/se...e_win_2_70.exe

------------------
                          Join the MURC SETI team!

Comment

Ta.
                            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace & Guru,

I don't know how keen you are on hosting the tips page on your own site, but I think it would be great to host it on seti.matroxusers.com.

Of course, you and Guru would get full credit, and I could even make a link back to your page.

I just think it would be nice to have all information on seti@murc in one spot. Some of the other teams have great homepages, but since the information tends to be scattered around, I don't really visit them that often. If you want, we could try to avoid that.

If you don't want this, would it be okay if I make a link in the top navigation bar, and display your tips page in the lower frame?

Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X