New Seti @ Murc website (Beta 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Seti @ Murc website (Beta 1)

<a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.mccarroll/hosted/seti/">New Seti @ Murc website (Beta 1)</a>

Ok - I've put up a very small site at the moment on my personal space - but was wondering what you's think of having a separate site for the help side of things and Martin's site for the stats? Should they me kept separate, linked closely or merged?

It's an early version yet but post in here what you think of it anyway both relating to the above points as well as the design and content.

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network:
    Arena | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
    Join SETI@MURC! | Boost SETI@MURC!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Some more questions etc.

If this is going to be a big site:
    What files do you want? Post links in here - I'll wrap any content you want in my website design - but I don't have much more time after that to do content (as shown from my Arena site).

I'd also like some starter guides for users with alternative OSes - people with access to Unix servers etc could be a good gain but can't set it up. I know a Linux guy who is currently running his P166 for me that had to ask me how to set it up - but I can't offer any more than he probably already knew (ie download client, run client) - so if there's any special install methods for cmdline on unix based OSes etc then that would be helpful.

See the site for more stuff I've followed with ?'s and let me know any ideas or thoughts you have.

Thanks,

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network:
    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

hmm, i would like to have it on seti.matroxusers.com. Everything should be on one site to demonstrate that we are a TEAM.

A link to some SETI caches (SetiQ) would be good.
      And of course the links to the clients. That would be enough for me.

Mega
      K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
      G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Pace it's up to you where we should have the site! However I think Ees could change the design of seti.matroxusers.com a litle if we are to put the info there!

Oh BTW Ees how come the stats are down at lest 3 times a day(average over the past 2 weeks)?

------------------
        PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE, HOTROD-UDMA66
        Join the MURC SETI team!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Yes - although it is ultimately up to me I'd still like to do what's best for the team and see what the team thinks.

I think if we merge them then the stats site could be redesigned yes - so that the stats pages will look similar to my prototype site - or something different again.

Martin? What do you think? I'll say here though that I know nothing about CGI/scripts but I think I could maybe alter the design a little - dropping the table border and switching colour scheme.

Also, how do you generate the graphs for the stats, Martin?

Paul.

------------------
          Pace3000 Network:
          Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Your site does look better than seti.matroxusers.com! And if you two were to come up with a better design I think you should merge your sites together! However if you do we should talk Ant into posting on www.murc.ws every time the page is updated!

Guru

Oh BTW check your mail! Ver. 1.2 should be there! J

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Ok - it's up to Martin at this point - do you want to merge & redesign the sites? Or maybe a new home page which will include the stats and help/guide side of things (ie moving my prototype to seti.mu and having the stats/guides as content?)

Paul.

Edit: (Forgot to say ) I was just about to update the page to v1.1 and then I read this! So v1.2 of the optimisation guide is now up - thanks Guru.

------------------
              Pace3000 Network:

[This message has been edited by Pace (edited 23 August 2000).]
              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace,

First of all: don't get me wrong. I would fully understand if you just want to host it on your own page. Basically, I'm either too busy or too lazy to do these guides myself, and you are of course free to host it anywhere you want to. I just think that team-wise, it would be nice to have all our stuff in one spot.

That being said...

Redesigning seti.matroxusers is not a problem. I would want to make some small changes to your HTML (setting body-colors after including setimurc.css kind of defies the point of using a style-sheet), but overall, your pages look very nice. The stats-pages are dynamically created from a template, so changing the design should be relatively easy.

And to answer some assorted questions from other threads:
                - There is (or at least: should be) plenty of room for new pages. The site is on a shared server, and when I see how little space I use in comparison with some other guys, there should be some room for expansion...
                - I dunno about any data transfer limits. Maybe Ant can say more about that?
                - I dunno why the site is down so often. Sub-optimal hosting in general?

To summarize: just do whatever *you* want. I'm open to suggestions, but if you want to host it on your own site, that's fine with me.

Martin

Comment

Ees I have just mailed Pace that the forums are back online! and I'm looking forward to his answer!

------------------
                  Join the MURC SETI team!

Comment

Ok - I'll work some more on the site and see how the site goes - from there we'll see...

As for the code, erm yea, just starting out in CSS...and trying to port the Seti and the Arena site's to CSS but some little things go missing...I'm an usher at a wedding tomorrow...no more excuses left...

Paul.

PS: I'll be sure to check my mail soon Guru Hehe, I've been here for about 10 mins already!

------------------
                    Pace3000 Network:
                    Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace! About that linux guide thing! I't might just be that I'll be able to fix that!
                      At least for RED-HAT 6.x (single & SMP system)!

EDIT: FIXED LINK
                      ------------------
                      Join the MURC SETI team! - Optimize Seti

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 25 August 2000).]

Comment

OK I chaged it back!

------------------
                        Join the MURC SETI team! - SETI @ MURC

Comment

Keep working on that sig Guru! (see the reply to your test in the other thread )

Paul.

------------------
                          Pace3000 Network:
                          Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Well i had a lots of moneey but now I don't have it at aaal I have spent all my moneey to the wiskey and beer and thats why I'm changing my signature here

Guru

------------------
                            Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Comment

Some more ideas:

Unix/BeOs batches? Can anyone do a beginners guide to getting Seti going in Linux. I feel this would encourage people who have old Pentiums lying about - Linux could offer a fast system for these machines - anyone have comparisons for Win95 and Linux?

Anyone use 3rd party applications for caching and uploading units etc? SetiQueue, SetiSpy? If anyone can submit a guide to using these applications (along with a link to the app) then please send them to me.

What do you think of a benchmark section? We could either submit results or I could do them personally. I don't have access to many machines (certainly not Xeons) and the section would be limited. Result submissions would probably have to be based on a benchmark WU (such as TeamLambchops) and I think we could trust you guys for accurate results. What we'd be looking for is your system crunching the WU.

If anyone wants to elaborate on Guru's guide showing what effect a particular optimisation has made to their system then please send that in to the submission address. There is also a link for feedback - use this for small errors/omissions etc - items which are open to discussion I'd like in the forum.

Submissions | Feedback

Paul.

------------------
                              Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
                              Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
                              Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
                              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                              X