Strange Seti happenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Seti happenings

I started off tonight at 378 WU's processed, and now about 6 hours later I am at 382 WU's processed according to my Seti 1.06 GUI.

I can't check the last 10 WU's sent to Seti as their database is down. But I think this is going very fast. 4 faulty WU's in a row?? Can't be !!

Anyone else who had something like this happen to him?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Got two freebies! But, whos complaining? Its a little pay-back for the 20 plus wu's I lost earlier this month due to server outage..

Comment

I have lost one WU

Maybe have problems with the database not registration of the WU's correctly?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Is it possible to get in the top 100 with one computer?

Comment

Oh wow! I want that! ,will a tenner cover it?
        Bloody hell ,your town name is long!

------------------
        I guess I won't recruit for my team here Team Anandtech

[This message has been edited by Assimilator1 (edited 29 July 2000).]
        Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
        2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Yeah Assim, but Hugh G's is huge

With today's prices for RAM, how much will 32Gb of RAM set me back? And will Seti run any faster then?

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

KvHagedorn: Looks like it costs a little more then I will be able to spend now
            I'm only a poor student.

And using more then one comp is unfair, maybe I can use some of the ultra sparks at school by logging in thru telnet.

/Daniel

[This message has been edited by Mr D. Ackerot (edited 29 July 2000).]

Comment

Yes, Mr. D, it IS possible to get into the top 100 with only one computer. Here is the one I recommend:

The Compaq Alpha ES40 Workstation:

I hope you are very rich

------------------
              Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Hey go give it a try. As long as they're crunching for MURC we won't tell.

Mark F.

------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                --------------------------------------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                and burped out a movie

Comment

Jord, I've done some calculations based on the upgrade cost of a compaq proliant 8000 server. This will most likely be wildly inaccurate, but who the hell cares? Considering an upgrade from 4GB to 12GB of ram costs $59,092.00, that works out to about $7386.50/GB. Using that figure, 32GB of ECC Ram will set you back about US$236,368.00. Give or take.

This is of course a lot more expensive per MB then typical desktop RAM, because they are probably proprietary compaq ECC DIMMs at about 4GB each (8 sticks X 4GB = 32GB total).

--
                  Andrew

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 03 August 2000).]
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

bloody hell, who needs 32GB of ram.... i dont even have 32GB Hard disk space.... and for that much money u can buy a big huge house...

and anyway, how would it affect SETI.... i mean once you get to 128mb, i dont think upgrading it any more helps much... doesnt it depend on ur processor...

------------------
                    P5A-B AMD K6-300
                    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
                    Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
                    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                    64meg Ram
                    Ali V agp chipset
                    ICQ UIN: 24730025
                    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
                    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
                    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
                    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
                    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
                    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
                    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
                    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
                    Actima 36X CD-Rom
                    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
                    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                    Windows 2000 (primary)
                    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

I think the general use for that machine would be a little more complicated than crunching seti units . Like maybe running a multiterabyte database, or something equally complicated. It's not the kind of system you'd use in your living room...
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Okay, so now I need to ask where I get 236,000 USD from (give or take), and how much did the machine itself cost again??

It'd have more luck on asking Bill Gates to sponsor me, I think

Jord
                        When I chose to go out
                        I always leave the light on
                        when I have to stay in,
                        you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                        now that I'm living on my own,
                        and while they've never been more right,
                        can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

They don't list prices for the Alpha workstations on the website, that's why I had to estimate the price of the ram based on the Proliant 8000. I'd guess that system's basic configuration would run about $20-30,000 though...
                          --
                          Andrew

Comment

I think that would probably be with only one processor too, Andrew. This machine configured for SETI with 4 processors and, say 1GB of RAM would probably be much more. I was thinking possibly in the $60,000 range. There's actually a cost calculator that you can download somewhere on Compaq's website if you really wanna put together a dream system. Anyone know for sure what this would cost?

------------------
                            Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

KvH, besides that you might want to take out the 'r' in 'breen', I know that all Compaq internal "objects" are 'so they say' "made by Compaq" and only usable when there's a "Compaq sign" on them...

Have you ever tried non Compaq RAM in a Compaq machine above a 486, or a Pentium? It works... But have you ever tried Compaq RAM in a non-Compaq machine??? It doesn't work !!

So either Compaq has a simple routine saying "is this Compaq-RAM" in it's BIOS these days. Or they say: "Any RAM now is good RAM, but we need to check on some things, like your credit card"

No the latter is just kidding... Compaq always wants the best of RAM there is, even if their machines run with lesser RAM, and you can't use the Compaq RAM in other machines (that easily !!), but I agree with you that Compaq SDRAM, thus also C-SDRAM, is very much more expensive than "our" normal SDRAM would be

So how does Compaq make it's SDRAM so special? I haven't got a clue !!

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 05 August 2000).]
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X