What's up with (unknown)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with (unknown)

At 12.30 Matrox Users stat (300 by rank) there's 3 appearances by (unknown), all of them losing WUs on last delta.

200 -107
    224 - 44
    252 - 32

What's up with that???
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Hey Sisyfos,

You really keep an eye on things, eh ? Excellent!

First, the (unknown)'s. Damn, they're a pain in the ass...

The Unknowns are the ones that don't have a nick listed on Seti's stat-pages. Therefore, there's no easy and surefire way for me to distinguish "Unknown #1" from "Unknown #2".

What I do in my scripts, is to assume that Unknowns don't swap places. The highest-ranked Unknown (who was on rank 139) is Unknown #1, the second-ranked is Unknown #2, etcetera. (I don't list them as "Unknown #1, #2" of course, but that's not really important.)

This, of course gets nasty when:
    - Unknown #2 passes Unknown #1. How should I know? Unknown #2 simply inherits part of Unknown #1's history. Which, of course, is incorrect.
    - We loose an Unknown (either because he chooses a nickname after all, or because he moves to another team).

The second scenario is what happened here. As far as I can see, whoever was at rank 139 (and didn't have a nickname) has left the building. So now, the top-ranked (unknown) has inherited the history of the guy that left, and therefore "lost" WUs. (Unknown #1 used to be at rank 139, now he's at rank 200.)

Of course, I could try to be more clever about this (keep track of the number of Unknowns, keep track of their WU-history and try to compensate for "abnormal" shifts in WUs, etcetera). But I figured it's not worth it. Just fill in a nickname, will ya?

Then, about your PNG being out of focus: it takes some time (typically up to ten minutes maximum) before all the pictures are uploaded from my workstation to seti.matroxusers.com. So if you look just a few minutes past xx:30, you may see the picture of the hour before. And if you gained a spot during that hour, it would have been off by one. Could that be the cause? Because you're perfectly "in focus" when I looked.

As for the member count being off by one: dunno, hadn't noticed.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Martin

Comment

Fresh eyes from a newbie, eh?
      Well, I had a day off from work so what better to do than nitpick around a little

Funny that someone would sign up without a nickname, It never crossed my mind not to write something.

About the .png, I had also uploaded a WU just prior to the 12.30 stats, so I kind of figured I had been too eager.

Thanks for all your answers Martin (if I may).

How's team spirits by the way? Are we aiming for top 20???
      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I personally want MU in the Top 20.But I think that we don't have the processing Power.

Mega
        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
        G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Another thing!

If you use http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...eam_25678.html it shows the member count correctly.

Wheras the cgi link http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/c...e=matrox+users shows 1 too high (has done that since 491, before that I don't know).

Finally, I noticed that my .png is out of focus i.e. I'm the color beneath white.

Something is askew methinks.

Any answers to all of this will be greatly appreciated (well, I wouldn't mind anyway).

Comment

It's possible that they did put a name in with some odd characters that weren't acceptable.
            Also we had at least 1 team member who did put an ordinary name in & it STILL didn't show!:|

------------------
            I guess I won't recruit for my team here Team Anandtech
            Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
            2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Working...
            X