Seti from behind a proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seti from behind a proxy

I've got some people from the LAN games I host trying to add some P2-350s to my account (and they are G200 owners/users ). This is nice . They are behind a proxy however. This is not nice . It could be SOCKS I'm not sure but in order to get them running for me (and hence MU) then I'm going to have to make the installation painless.

I've found from searching that seti.exe -proxy 192.168.55.1:#### would fix some proxy problems but not SOCKS. For this I believe I need an app to sit on top of seti. I've gave them a zip file which I was quite proud of - just over 100k and unzips to anything from a 5 to 100 unit cache. Dismayed I was however when - cannot connect to server etc.

I'd like to have a close to guaranteed chance of success or these guys might not bother trying to run it so I didn't tell the guy to keep trying anyway.

Again, I'd like to make this as easy as possible for them to set up and crunch/send.

Also, I know it's IP (got him to ping it) but I'm not sure if he's on port 8080 - any easy way I could get him to find out?

Thanks in advance (from me and MU !)

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network:
    Arena | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
    Join SETI@MURC!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Seti supports socks proxies natively, so you don't need any extra apps. Here's the switches to use if it's a Socks 4 or 5 proxy.

-socks_server hostnameort
    -socks_user name
    -socks_passwd password

I'm not sure how to find the port number though. You'd probably have to ask the server administrator.

If it's not a socks proxy, you may be out of luck. In my office we're using some kind of http proxy that requires authentication, but it's not socks. I haven't found anything to make it work so far.

--
    Andrew

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 10 August 2000).]
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

In IE: Tools > Internet Options... > Connections > Lan Settings... > Advanced.
      That should list the ports.
      If it's not using a script for automatic configuration that is.
      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I had the smae problem here at work. I am behind a SOCKS proxy in the lab. I scoured through the FAQ at seti and found a cool little app that you can run in windows that will allow your seti conneciton to think it's not behind a firewall. Let me see if I can find it, hang on...ok, found it. Try this spiffy litte program:

http://www.socks.nec.com/sockscap.html

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

btw-the program is as easy as installing it, pointing the app to the seti.exe file and running the file within the socks app.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
          X