New User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User

Hi, i am a new user in SETI@home..... am i wasting my time here.... i would like to help out but i just want to make sure i am actually helping and not just pushing my computer for nothing

------------------
    P5A-B AMD K6-300
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
    Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    64meg Ram
    Ali V agp chipset
    ICQ UIN: 24730025
    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
    Actima 36X CD-Rom
    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
    Windows 2000 (primary)
    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

You are definitely helping out! Thanks for joining and keep it up.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

How could you be wasting your time?
      The whole point of seti@home is to put your computer to use doing scientific work while your computer is being wasted.
      You have a relitivly slow computer, so the seti computations might interfear with you while you are using your computer.
      It is set up with a screen saver so that your processor can be used for those calculations while you are not using your computer.
      Thus, you are not wasting your time, but you would be wasting you computer if you did not put to some useful work when it would otherwise be sitting idle.
      In other words; welcome and thanks for your support!
      chuck

Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Welcome abord!!

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie
        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

Welcome!

If you are referring to the SETI server problem, That happens sometimes. Seems you can download units but I would save the results (outfile and result text files) until the server is back up fully. Then you can be sure you are getting credited and not wasting your time.

------------------
          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Welcome!

------------------
            PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE, HOTROD-UDMA66
            Join the MURC SETI team @ <A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&id=25678

" TARGET=_blank>http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&id=25678

</A>
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

thankyou all, i noticed that it runs twice as fast when it is minimized, becos it does not have to process all the graphics.

so what i do is set it to run all the time, then i set its processor usage to IDLE, so it does not interfere with my daily work. This is the most productive way i can think of. whadya think of that.

------------------
              P5A-B AMD K6-300
              Realtek 8029A NIC Card
              64meg Ram
              Ali V agp chipset
              Realtek 8029A NIC Card
              Actima 36X CD-Rom
              Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
              Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

>>>i noticed that it runs twice as fast when it is minimized<<<<

Spot on & well noticed

BTW SETI's default priority is idle anyway
                Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

well if its default priority is idle, then y doesnt EVERYONE leave it on all the time, it wouldnt slow down your computer would it, unless you are running another idle process.

------------------
                  P5A-B AMD K6-300
                  Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                  64meg Ram
                  Ali V agp chipset
                  Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                  Actima 36X CD-Rom
                  Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                  Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

Originally posted by nehalmistry:
                    well if its default priority is idle, then y doesnt EVERYONE leave it on all the time, it wouldnt slow down your computer would it, unless you are running another idle process.

Well most of us do! But if you want even more speed then use the text client (i386-WinNT-cmdline) you can download it at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html
                    also your BIOS settings are important. Set your memory to CAS2 and make sure that the following settings are disabled; Shadow system Bios, Shadow video Bios; Cache video RAM.

------------------
                    Join the MURC SETI team @ <A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&id=25678

" TARGET=_blank>http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&id=25678

</A>

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 02 August 2000).]
                    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

what do you mean set memory to cas2... does that mean change the CAS option in bios to 2t??? its currently at 3t, wouldnt changing it to 2t be kinda like overclocking it??? i dont wanna damage my memory...

im not sure what its supposed to be at though.

------------------
                      P5A-B AMD K6-300
                      Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                      64meg Ram
                      Ali V agp chipset
                      Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                      Actima 36X CD-Rom
                      Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                      Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

Originally posted by nehalmistry:
                        what do you mean set memory to cas2... does that mean change the CAS option in bios to 2t??? its currently at 3t, wouldnt changing it to 2t be kinda like overclocking it??? i dont wanna damage my memory...

im not sure what its supposed to be at though.

It's not overclocking ; CAS stands for Column Address Strobe, and the number after it is latency. CAS3 is an older standard, most newer systems work fine with CAS2. This is a pretty obvious benefit. The faster you can access your mem, the faster Seti will run. And everything else for that matter. Seting it to CAS2 will should not damage your memory in any way. Just run som benchmarks and check that your system is stabel if not then you can always change it back. Your SETI times will propably drop with at least 1h!

------------------

</A>

Comment

nehalmistry

What spec RAM have you got?
                          Are you running your K6 300 at 4.5x66 or 3x100?
                          BTW I used to have an Asus P5A ,nice board ,apart from all those jumpers .
                          Did you know you can choose a bus speed of 120Mhz? (& higher 125 & 133 but dont try them!)

A worse case scenario of setting CAS2 from 3 is that your PC wouldn't boot (its happened to me).If that happens you can either temporarily lower the bus speed to enter the bios & set back to CAS3 or if there is a button you can press(I cant remember)during boot up to reset the bios to default (usually home or insert).Or you could clear the CMOS

You'd be VERY unlucky to have that happen though.

[This message has been edited by Assimilator1 (edited 03 August 2000).]
                          Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

too late i set it to 2, works fine.

btw, im using 3x100 and my cpu started to overheat as shown in this forum
                            http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002228.html

my temperature goes up to 52 degrees celsius.... any more overclocking of my FSB and my CPU will fry

------------------
                            P5A-B AMD K6-300
                            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                            64meg Ram
                            Ali V agp chipset

[This message has been edited by nehalmistry (edited 03 August 2000).]
                            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                            Actima 36X CD-Rom
                            Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                            Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

Your cpu won't run any hotter at 3x100 than 4.5 x66 ,the extra heat must be caused by something else ,if it is indeed running hotter.After all the cpu isn't running any faster
                              BTW I used to have a K6-2 350 @ 400MHz ,this used to hit 60 C when room temps went over 30C ,it never caused it to crash ,it even hit 62C once at which point I began to worry & shut it down though it was still running fine.The max cpu temp for a K6-2 @ 400 MHz was 65 C ,below that it was 70 C.Though I'm not sure what the temps are for a K6 I doubt it would be lower ,check out the AMD specs for your cpu it will list the max cpu case temp.

You should find the info there , http://www.amd.com/K6/k6docs/index.html#manuals
                              Here's the page I got that from http://www.amd.com/K6/k6docs/index.html

As long as your heatsink is still mounted properly I wouldn't worry about it.1 thing just make sure that your PSU fan is blowing outwards (check with a small piece of paper)

Comment

Working...
                              X