Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probs in BeOS

Hi Dudes,

I could need a hand, because I crunched a dozen WUs under BeOS 5.01 PE, but I cannot submit 'em because BeOS doesn't seem to communicate with my modem at all ...

Anybody with a brilliant idea out there ?

Modem is USR Sportster 33.6 and plugged to Serial-1 everything configed correctly (checked three times).

What app do I need to communicate with my modem manually ?
    I tried commands from the terminal (shell) but to no avail ... only to power lamp on my external modem is on.

TIA,
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

No, sorry - I haven't a clue about BeOS apart from I did do an install, played with it, looked cool, got bored, deleted it...

I can't beleive that no one else here uses BeOS though...

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I've got a machine with BeOS 5 Professional (the full blown one). It's got Seti@home running on it. No modem, though. I've got a Windows 2000 Pro machine that's sharing its internet connection over my small home network. I set BeOS up with a static IP that's within the range of what my Win2K machine is sharing it's dial-up connection.

I don't know if you could do something similar with your particualr setup or not. I've never tried to setup a modem in Be, so I can't help there.

Charles
      A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Hmm, I've tried BeOS, and I had no problems with my modem.

I never finished a WU as it didn't seem any faster than Win98.
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

CHAAS

>>>I never finished a WU as it didn't seem any faster than Win98<<<<

err ,how do you know that it wasn't faster then? :P
          Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
          2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Because it reaches to crunch a half WU and then multiply it by 2. Then you have a good imagination of what it takes to crunch a whole WU.

*shakingmyhead*

Mega
            K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

That's right Mega

Assim:

Imagine, you're surrounded by MURC'ers, all shaking their head at you ... you really should have know better ... don't you feel small now ?

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 26 July 2000).]

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

oh dear ,oh dear ,thats a rather green mistake to make! :P ,haven't you ever noticed that different parts of 1 WU progress through at different speeds? that makes your x2 test totally useless!.

To get a proper idea of WU times you need to do at least 5 FULL WU's & average the times out.
                *shaking head back at green MURCERS & sniggering* hehe

------------------
                I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

I did some WU on BeOS and it went just fine. I don't know how much faster/slower than on M$.
                  What kind of modem do you have maggi ?
                  BTW, you still didn't give us your impressions with Be.

------------------
                  Cloudy
                  Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
                  2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH (Oc to 111.1%).
                  Cloudy
                  Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
                  2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

Hi Cloudy,

sorry for that lack of update ...

I have the USR Sportster Vi 28.8 and although it's listed in BeOS in that Modem selector, there's not even a single signal sent to the modem ...

Besides taht BeOS 'feels' very good. It reminds me of Amiga OS, very handy and it seems to be well written too.
                    My prob is that I have no actual use for it and I now had to find out that using Win98 and the SETI cmd-line exe is faster than using BeOS (~6 hours instead of ~6:30). Hence I uninstalled it.

I tried to submit my BeOS WUs using the WinNT cmd-line version, but they simply got deleted due to 'new software version found' ...

Anyway, I guess I'll get back to BeOS some day, but for know it had to go.
                    Btw, there are ports for Q1 & Q2 which actually do run under BeOS, but problem is that OGL is not yet hardware accelerated and I don't need a beautiful slide show ...
                    Alos it really bugs me that I either have to create a boot disk or load up W98 completely to run BeOS (5.01 PE) ... I heard that 4.5 gave you they option for a boot menu ?

I surely hope that some major apps will be ported to BeOS anytime soon and then I'll get back to it.

Cheers and thanx for your inputs,
                    Maggi
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Maggi:

You don't need to boot into windows to start BeOS 5, you can just run the 'loadbeos.com' file in the BeOS dir from a dos prompt.

I made a custom boot option in my config.sys/autoexec.bat when I was trying it out, so I could decide which OS to boot at startup.

Comment

Use one of the generic modems. Have got it (Be) to go on the net with modem but can't readily recall the exact sequence.
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hi maggi,

I'm using an internal Texas Instruments based modem which is configured as a sporster 33,600. Works just fine for me...
                          BeOS on Winxx sucks. You have to make yourself a clean partition and install it into that partition from inside BeOS - press the Be buton and go to applications-> installer.
                          Install the bootmanager (you can re-configure it /uninstall it later from the terminal by typing $bootman).
                          The bootmanager sitis on the MBR so it doesn't interfear with the windows boot manager. Be will work much better ths way. Booting directly into BeOS (unlike though DOS/Windows) will make it better behave, who knows, maybe yor modem will decide to work too.

Good luck !

------------------
                          Cloudy
                          2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH (Oc to 111.1%).
                          Cloudy
                          Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
                          2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

Cloudy check your signature.

Originally posted by Cloudy:
                            ------------------
                            Cloudy

400@75?

------------------
                            PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE, HOTROD-UDMA66
                            Join the MURC SETI team @ <A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&id=25678

" TARGET=_blank>http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&id=25678

</A>
                            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                            X