Speed test - interesting results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed test - interesting results

I am using a PIII 600E stepping cA3 at 800MHz and FSB at 133MHz.

I clocked the CPU back to 690MHz and increased the rest of the FSB to 153MHz (RAM timing at 2,2,2 - Mosel RAM from www.memman.com [and a 128MB stick has gone up $38 in two months]). I then ran some WUs and found almost no difference in the time to complete them, and I believe I am in the top 10 fastest at MURC using SETI@home.

This proves the importance of using fast high quality RAM with the SETI@home program.

Another interesting result. I have an ABIT BE6-2 running a PIII 600 Klamath at 672 MHz. The computer runs SETI around 40% faster when I set the fsb and AGP/fsb ratio settings with the dip switches on the MB, instead of using the SoftMenu III. The Softmenu is much slower at the exact same settings for SETI.

Comment

Swing, what motherboard are you using?

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

paulcs,

ASUS P3V4X

Comment

Brian R.

Hmmm...

I might try that, thanks. If I could get a 40% increase, I could crunch WUs in less than 3 hours.

Comment

My result is probably just a figment of my imagination.

I posted this before and no one tested it on their BE6-2 and reported back.

Comment

Brian,

That's not quite true, I tried this myself on my BE6 II and BF6 both, and found whether or not the dip switches were used, the performance was the same on my machines. This was using a 133 FSB, as well.

Rags

------------------
              Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Swing, I suspected you had a P3V4X. Coupled with the P3600E @ 800 MHz, it's just the fastest board I've seen when it comes to SETI.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hmmm, I'll give it a go on my BE6-II. Can the dip switches give me 125Mhz FSB?

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

aaargh...I can't take this anymore...

WHAT IS SETI???? Hardware, Software, a bar...what!!??

thanks

Comment

bongo - (put McEnroe's voice on) You Cannot Be Serious!!

Search for Extra-Terrestial Intelligence

SETI@Home is a client program that we all run which talks to Berkeley University in the states over the net and analyses data collected from various satellites around the world for aliens.

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 18 July 2000).]

Comment

At least i found an Alien, every morning in the mirror .

Mega
                        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                        G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Thanks paulcs.

Brian R.,

I tried your suggestion. Prior to running SETI I ran some benchmarks to see if there was any performance improvement, and I saw none. I then ran a couple of WUs and as the benchmarks proved, there was no performance improvement.

If you got a 40% increase with this proceedure (using dip switches), I suspect there is a problem with BIOS code or a motherboard defect that is slowing the machine down when using SoftMENU. The same speed should be realized if the dip switches and BIOS treat CPU, bus(es) and RAM speeds the same.

Comment

bongo,

Go here to find the answer to your question asking what SETI(@home) is:
                            http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Comment

thank you all, i feel so stupid, sort of like one of the characters in this picture. Do they qualify as aliens?

Comment

Working...
                              X