seti off-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seti off-line

Is seti off-line, none of my units from last night have been sent, and I can't get any more?
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

I cannot send nor retrieve WUs, and it seems like Setiathome's homepage is down as well
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

From the Technical News Reports page:

July 12th, 2000

We are fixing some bugs with the Informix database today, so the data server will be down until these are fixed.
      I hope y'all have some spare WUs stored for a rainy day... I have

BTW: the Matrox Users' stats on seti.matroxusers.com aren't updated either: same reason.

Martin

Comment

Dam, no spare units

Its now the 13th July, are they having problems.

Comment

I got a new P3-800 at work and finaly talked them into letting me bypass the proxy and firewall so I could run Seti.
          Oops, no server, can't even register my work account.
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hehe yesterday i cleaned my WU storage . I can survive 2 Weeks without the Seti Server!

Mega
            K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

It's back online, although slow !!

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I have 17 machines with partially completed units, though these will be all done tonight.

I temporarily have use of 25 pcs and cant do anything with them.

Comment

cool, it's back up!
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Damnit, as soon as I start crunching again servers f*ck me up. Still no seti crumching at home, no phone line still. Got an iPAQ at work, 500 MHz coppermine running win2kpro. Does a WU in about 8.25 hrs. Using another similar machine that I'm testing, but just for a short time
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Server problems my butt! All of our friends from Berkeley were across the Bay in Golden Gate Park, trying out for "Survivor."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/hotnews/stories/13/survivor.d tl

That guy tearing off his shirt is a UC-Berkeley police officer, by the way. God, this is a classy place.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 14 July 2000).]

Comment

Here's explanation from Eric J. Korpela @ Berkeley for those who wants to know:

"Because of the limitations of informix (2 GB chunks) and the limitations
                        of Solaris (on partitions per disk) we had been limited to using 9 Gb
                        drives for the science database, and were rapidly approaching the number
                        of disks our controllers could handle. As a work around we were investigating
                        using Veritas to get by these limitations (which would allow us to use
                        18 Gb drives, in effect doubling our disk space).

Before setting out to migrate the drives over to the new system we decided
                        performing tests to make sure it would work. The information and advice
                        we had was to create a separate database space on the new drives, so a
                        failure wouldn't affect the existing database. Well, it turns out one of
                        the tests did fail several days ago, but the database continued to operate
                        just fine, as was predicted. Due to the failure the root chunk of the
                        new database space was corrupted. This wasn't a problem until we restarted
                        the database machine to bring a new tape drive on-line. After the reboot,
                        informix complained that it couldn't access the corrupted chunk and wouldn't
                        allow inserts into any database, including those unrelated to the missing
                        chunk. We couldn't remove the bad chunk because it was corrupted,
                        Informix couldn't fix the bad chuck because it was too corrupted. We couldn't
                        restore the bad chunk from a backup because no backup of the bad chunk
                        existed. So we were stuck with a database that was readable, but not
                        writeable.

We eventually came to the concusion that the only way to get back up in
                        any reasonable amount of time was to restore the database to the new 18 Gb
                        disks using the last full backup (which took a bit more than 12 hours, we
                        should thank Matt and Jeff for getting up in the middle of the night to
                        change tapes). That's done, and we're getting to the point where we'll
                        have enough usable work units to restart in a few minutes.

User stats shouldn't be affected, but science that are more recent than
                        the last full backup won't be in the new database. It'll look like we've
                        gone backwards on the graphs page. We've still got the missing science
                        on the old 9 Gb drives, but it'll take time and lots of informix tech support
                        to get it into the new database.

We've also got the problem that results will be coming back that don't
                        match workunits in the database. I'm going to be stashing these until
                        I figure out what to do with them. They'll probably have to sit on disk
                        until we get the database merged again.

Well, I'm off to start the server now.

Eric
                        --
                        Eric Korpela korpela@ssl.berkeley.edu
                        "

Comment

User stats shouldn't be affected

Oh, but they are. All I see when I look for my latest 10 WU's are entries till the 24th of June, and the 2 I sent since the 14th
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Besides the "last ten results returned" is messed up, the server didn't count three of ten wu's I sent last night toward my total. Eric and the Berkeley crew have some more work to be done...

Comment

I got my work account logged in!
                              Look, I'm in LAST place
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X