Clear All

• Anyone up for beta testing?

Here's how:
    Public beta testing for the SETI@home client v3.0 is beginning now. We
    are accepting a limited number of applications to beta test the newest
    SETI@home client.

To sign up, please send an email to beta@setiathome.berkeley.edu with
    the subject line "Beta Test". You will be contacted shortly thereafter
    with instructions regarding testing. Thank you!
    Haven't tried it myself, but will soon.

Jan

Thanks Jan

I've just mailed them, I hope to hear from them real soon.

"That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Beta Test
      Sent: 7/6/00 3:34 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'beta@setiathome.berkeley.edu' on 7/6/00 3:34 PM
      No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient.
      Join a real seti team, Team Anandtech.

Comment

Well, it's only graphic versions for download. Hopefully this can account for part of the terrible slowness, and the cmd-line will be faster.
        I've currently used 23 hours for 86% on the first wu, and have between 3 and 4 hours to go.
        The average times for cmd-2.04 is 7h40m

System: win2k, dual-p3-600, 128 MB ram.
        Running win-gui-2.66 on one cpu, real-time, since no smp-support, and cmd-2.04 on other cpu. The cmd-line is running one hour faster than normal with two clients.

Comment

Don't forget that alot of the GUI's slowness is down to not having blank screen set to less than 5 mins.Once that is done it is not much slower than the CLi version.

I wonder if v3 is on the ftp ?

------------------
          I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
          2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Oh it's slooooow. Really slow.
            I'm at 41% after 9 hours, with the screensaver off. Hope they improve it before release.

Jan

Comment

Aren't they going to increase the resolotion and depth of the search. Could this be part of the reason why the v3 client is so slow?
              Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Something that occurs to me. Seti would run for 3 years, right? As we're nearing the end of the search, they release ever slower, yet more refining, GUI's and CMD-line versions.

So, where does Seti end then? Not after 3 years, I guess. And do they still d/l new data for us first GUI & CMD-line users to use?

I've had my first fluke yesterday, together with Assim, as it seems, both with the same frequency, but from another part of the sky, and with a different date and time.

Yet I wonder... Does anyone know if what they say is right? Are they still d/ling data, or are we re-crunching data they got from before (maybe even from the Voyager and other out-of-our-solar-system-going-spacecraft?) ??

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

I ran V3 (v2.66) for a while but I stopped running it because it was hurting my race to 1000 WU's.
                  I got as far 21.2% @ 6hrs 32mins ,thats a total time of 32.5 hrs!!
                  Blank screen set to 1 min on a Celeron 366 @ 550 MHz ,CAS 2 RAM timings ,192Mb RAM

Here's the thread I started about it in the TA forum. http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=195419

Jorden

>>>>>>>>The big change in 3.0 is vastly improved science - we are now searching for pulses and triplets as well as spikes and gaussians. Web pages describing these in more detail will be up soon on the main home page.
                  Other improvements include optimized FFTs (for faster analysis of wave data) and various bug fixes. Because of the extra analysis, processing workunits will take more time than it did with version 2.0x. If the workunits take more than twice as long as they used to, however, please let us know (include information about how you run your client, i.e. do you go to a blank screen immediately, does it run in the background, etc.).<<<<<

I guess that answers 1 question ,if you want to see the whole letter go to the above mentioned thread & check the link out.

>>>>Data Acquisition Status
                  Enabled: The receiver at Arecibo Observatory is on and we are acquiring data for both SERENDIP and SETI@home projects.
                  <<<<

And that answers your other question ,BTW the above was taken from here
                  http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/sstatus.html

In theory SETI could go on forever! ,but I dont know really!

------------------
                  I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

[This message has been edited by Assimilator1 (edited 09 July 2000).]
                  Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                  2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Working...
                  X