Holiday from SETI :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday from SETI :(

Greetings all WU munchers. I will taking a 6 week holiday halfway throught next month (France, Ireland, England,Italy & Thailand. mmmmmmmm).

I currently use SETIcache to queue 10 WU's at a time. I'm estimating that, in order to keep my PC's happily crunching away while i'm gone, i will need to queue 300 to 400 WU's!

Can SETIcache be modified to cope with extra units, or is there some other way? Also, do WU's have a 'used by date'?

Cheers,

Giskard.

From France to Ireland to the UK to Italy to Thailand?? I wonder what criss-cross travel-agency you used

Do stop over in Oosterhout, The Netherlands and get a fresh beer

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

When you're flying from Australia, it kind of makes sense. It's a lumpy kind of loop... sort of. Oh, and it was the cheapest way of doing it

G

Comment

If Seticache doesn't, than maybe SetiQ. Or set up some batches. It's only some Minutes of work.

Mega
        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
        G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Do you have a URL for SetiQ?
          I did a search and got broken links or sites in espanol.

Thanks,

Giskard.

Comment

Yes SETIQ can be made to store that many WU's ,though I would of thought you'd be lucky if your PC doesn't crash once in a 6 week period!.Still its worth it
            http://www.reneris.com/seti/default.htm

Just tried it & it works

------------------
            I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
            2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

I believe SETI will re-issue a wu if you don't send its result back within a week, but you will get credit for completing it if you send it in at anytime.

Comment

Giskard - Be careful in Thailand. You don't want to pick up any communicable disease there, if you know what I mean...

Comment

*grins*

G

Comment

I think i remeber over the new year period that some w/u were dumped by the seti prog as the units were too old.
                    Anyone remember?
                    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Thanks for the link.

I'm feeling quietly confident about the stability thing. Windows 98 was prone to crashing if i held my mouth the wrong way, but Win2k seems a lot better.

I know it's not FreeBSD or anything (my internet gateway running BSD has managed to stay up for 347 days without a re-boot. not bad for a crappy old 486), but it seems a whole lot better than most of the micro$loth bugware.

How about the 'used by' thing? Do WU's time out?

Ciao,

G.

Comment

I hear the Thai prisons aren't up to standards either, so watch what you do there as well
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey ,where abouts in the UK are you going?

------------------
                          I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                          2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Hey Assimilator1,

Home base will be the town of Maidston(a friend has relatives there). We'll be spending a little time in London doing all the tourist stuff. Chester also looks good. We'll probably do a day or two there. We'll probably goto Oxford for a day trip, maybe another to Stonehenge. I might also check out Canvey Island because that is where my mother was born.

Any suggestions? We're going to try to do the England part fairly cheaply, because your British pound totaly pummels the Aussie dollar

Cheers,

Giskard

By the way, whats the weather like in September?

Comment

The weather is always crap in england.
                              We had summer on a tuesday afternoon a couple of weeks ago when the sun came out.

breezer (waiting for the start of the tennis at wimbledon)
                              Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Working...
                              X