The hammer has fallen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hammer has fallen...

Well, somebody over in our IS department decided that we engineers shouldn't be allowed to "squander company resources" by running Seti, so the software is now banned on our network. Here is the email I got today from our network security people...

------------------------
    Unauthorized Use of Company Resources

A number of employees at this location have downloaded a screen saver (SETI@home) that establishes an unauthorized connection to the Internet. This screen saver is a piece of scientific analytical software, which performs a large set of mathematical operations on data that is downloaded from Berkeley University. When the screen saver kicks in, it processes data provided by an outside entity via the Internet and reports the results back to Berkeley.

The company has not investigated the potential security risk associated with this screen saver. Therefore, if you are using it, please remove the screen saver immediately. Additionally, the location firewalls have been reconfigured to block access to the screen saver site in the future.

While we understand employees’ interest in taking part in a project of this nature, it is not an appropriate use of the company's resources. As a reminder, our security policy requires formal authorization from the company to establish a connection between an outside company or University and any system at this site.
    ------------------------

I've really enjoyed being able to contribute to this team, but my WU output from this point forward is questionable. I plan on bringing my two PCs at home online to process WUs but they are nearly as fast as the servers I was using. I've got a 600E @800 MHz and a celery 300A @450 MHz. I'll crunch as fast as I can, but I won't be putting out 24-32 WUs a day anymore. This sucks...

Eric
    ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Sorry to hear that Eric.

Btw, there's an oddity in that email.

"When the screen saver kicks in, it processes data provided by an outside entity via the Internet and reports the results back to Berkeley"

Surely you tried telling them that it won't have an open connection to the internet while it crunches the data?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

That's rather harsh!:|

Tell 'em they need to see a shrink ,they're paranoid!

Jorden

To me the 'provided by' means something that's already downloaded.But perhaps they don't mean it that way?worth checking...
      Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
      2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

That's what I meant, Assim...

When shortening it to it processes data provided by an outside entity via the Internet[, you could read it as an open port all the time. Which it clearly isn't.

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden, we weren't given a chance to tell them anything. The email was sent as a directive, with no repsonse either expected or accepted. They even notified my direct supervisor and had him come by my cubicle to instruct me to remove the software in person! My boss is sympathetic to the cause, but he has no influence with the network guys. They are an autonomous group possessing almost dictator-like authority with respect to all things computer related.

I'll just keep on crunching with my PCs at home. A few WUs are better than none at all .

Eric
          ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

This is so...ARGGHHH!!!

You are now the second of us who is not able to crunch anymore using normal ways....

I suggest that you send yourself E-Mails with WU's attached and crunch them with the commandline_client at firm.

Mega
            K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Woohoo! I've located a server to crunch WUs on that's about the same speed as the one I was using before! The only problem is that it has no external internet connection, so I had to write my own little scripts for batch processing and WU caching for the command line client and I have to upload the WUs using a ZIP disk. I'm crunching my first set of 48 WUs as I type. I should be able to upload these groups of 48 every two days or so... It's good to be back in business! (keeping my fingers crossed)...

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric,

good to read it took a good turn in the end ...

I surely wish I could use all of our machines at work, but that's also a no go ...

Just keep on crunching !

Cheers,
                Maggi
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Why Maggi? Isn't it allowed or are they in heavy use?

Anyway, probably tomorrow I'll post the units which were crunched secretly.

Mega
                  K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                  G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Hi Mega,

those are working rigs for high end 3D animation and compositing ... we earn our daily bread with those and need them flawless.
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Like Mega said...

The directive covers the screen-saver version only.

Switch to the non-screen saver version...

LOL... Those network idiots...

Guyv

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 11 June 2000).]
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950
                      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
                      X