Level 2 cache latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level 2 cache latency

Has anyone tried lowering the latency on the level 2 cache, and (more interesting) has there been any improvements ?

I've just set my L2 cache latency to 3 (I've got a Katmai), which is the optimal setting according the the test program I use.

It can be found here if you're interested (just under 1 MB):

http://home.worldonline.dk/~chj/Olympos16.exe

I'll find out if there's been any improvement tomorrow, and post it.

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 05 June 2000).]
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

LOL
    old news, besides coppermine users can't adjust the L2 latency.
    Join a real seti team, Team Anandtech.

Comment

OB

I've never tried it ,what results have you got or seen for this?

------------------
      I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
      2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

it's the same old increasing memory bandwidth thang.
        faster is better esp for Seti.
        so crank that mem to cas2 your L2 latency to 0 or 1 (if you can) and start rocken those WU's
        BTW H'Oda has a nice L2 adjusting program if your motherboard dosen't support it. (motherboard dosen't support it HAHAHAHAHAH)

[This message has been edited by office boy (edited 05 June 2000).]
        Join a real seti team, Team Anandtech.

Comment

Hehe TA has hijacked this thread

Come on guys! where are your experiences with L2 latency?

------------------

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

HELP! HELP!

My thread is being held hostage by TA !!!

Somebody do something!!

They're demanding a ransom, and have told me I'll get the thread back bit by bit, if I don't give them some work units!!

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Never fear, I'm here to help take this thread back!

On a note similar to that of the L2 cache latency, I'm currently running PC100 SDRAM (CL=3, 100 Mhz memory bus) with a CPU FSB of 133 Mhz. Any guesses as to how much faster things will get once I get some CL=2 PC133 SDRAM (and bring the memory bus up to 133)?

Charles
              A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Hmm, quite a bit, I'd imagine.

I tried running my system at 515 MHz (103 FSB) with CAS 2, and it was almost as fast as running at 560 (112 FSB) with CAS 3 (my old mem won't run at CAS2 and 112 FSB), and as your speed bump is larger (you're going for 133 CAS 2, right ?) you might see a big improvement.

I'd like to seem a system running at 150+ FSB on a BX board, with the mem at CAS2, that should rock

Comment

i have no inout for you, but i must get the MURC to TA ratio of posts up...

Comment

CHAAS

>>>I'll get the thread back bit by bit<<<<

ROFLMAOWPMP

BTW someone on our team suggested that going from CAS 2 - 3 is about = to +20MHz memory bus.
                    Anyway ,it is significantly quicker

------------------

Comment

CHHAS: Yeah, I'm going to eventually switch from CAS 3 PC100 to CAS 2 PC133 (hopefully Micron/Crucial memory). Right now the CPU's FSB is 133 Mhz (4.5x133=600) and the memory's bus is at 100 Mhz. All this out of a good old 2.0 Volt (Intel Spec.) PIII 450 @ 600 (not Intel Spec. ). It's the ASUS P3V4X motherboard that allows those two clocks to be different...

I'll do that little upgrade in the next month or two (as my budget allows...) then the WUs will really start flying out the door!

Charles
                      A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Working...
                      X