Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SETI & Overclocking

Hi Guys,

Finally got round to puttung SETI on my home machine last night, and found that ti kept crashing out after a few mins (Under win2k). I then put my CPU back down to 500 (from 620MHz) and it seemed to run fine. How comes though that I don't have any other problems when at 620, only SETI crashes....

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Steve,
    I had the same problem.
    My Celery 333@500 would almost never make it through a whole WU unless I clocked it back.
    The P3 650@910 that I have now never has a problem.
    Both machines used the same two sticks of PC100 ram & the same MB.
    Go figure!?!?!?
    chuck

------------------
    ABit BF6, P3-650@910, 128mb gh@140cas3, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB IntelliEye,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Steve C

1 thing that SETI does that many programs/games dont is too run the cpu at full load continiously.It could be a heat build up problem.
      BTW you say your cpu temp is 30C ,how is that measured?
      If it is an external sensor next to the cpu slot then these don't really give a very good idea of cpu temps.
      What m/brd do you have?

BTW2 I find that Unreal(& maybe UT too) is an excellent program to weed out any flaky overclocked systems.
      I've found that whilst I can run SETI endlessly on my Celeron 366 @ 578MHz @2.1v ,if I run Unreal it will bomb out of the game after about 1/2hr.It needs 2.15v to be totally stable.

What cpu have you got?
      What cpu voltages have you tried?

Of course it could be your RAM

cjolley

Looks like your 333 was too close to its limits to be totally stable.What voltage did you run it at?

------------------
      I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA
      Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
      2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Voltage is an interesting point too.
        The seti-unstable celery was @ +.2v and 52c
        The seti-stable P3 is @ stock 1.65v and 48c
        (both at full load)

I'm afraid to take the P3 apart to put on a better hs/fan.
        Untill some good i820 mbs come out I won't be able to get it significantly faster anyway.

chuck

------------------
        ABit BF6, P3-650@910, 256mb@140cas3, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB IntelliEye,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

SteveC: Are you sure the 30C is your "CPU temp" and not your "motherboard temp"? I've got one heck of a heatsink on my CPU, and it runs at about 70-75C when set to it's defaults. Though it is Slot 1, not Socket 370... (more details below)

cjolley: Given the disaster with the i820 chipset and the MTH translator, I don't know if we'll ever see a "good" board using it. Basicially i820 and SDRAM are a bad idea. I don't think that Rambus is all Intel and Rambus want us to think it is either. I've seen enough tests showing that PC133 SDRAM is basicially better...

All: Anyway, back to the real topic. I recently bumped my PIII 450 up to 600 (ASUS P3V4X, Win 98 SE) and it seemed to be running fine, but sometime over night it froze up (while running SETI and nothing else besides "normal" background stuff). I had it at 2.0 volts (standard for the CPU) and at 600 (133 FSB) it was running between 85 and 95C. When I dropped it back to 450 (100 FSB) it dropped down to 70-75C. I've got a big old Global Win VOS32 (or something to that effect) dual fan cooler on it (currently "stock", though I have plans to try to tweak it in an Alpha cooler sort of way). I'm guessing that the ASUS software must be reading a temperature sensor built into the CPU. I'm not sure though. In both cases, it also reported that the motherboard temperature was 25-30C. Of course this is with the sides and top of the case off (still in the upgrade/tweak phase), so maybe things will get a little better once I put the cover on and let the intake and exhaust fans do some good.

I could bump my voltage up to 2.05V (or higher, I forget what they are exactly), but I'd like to try to get the temperature of the CPU down to 80C or less (when at 600/133). Maybe my idea to "duct" the cooler will do it. If not, then I guess a peltier might be the only way.

I'm not totally ruling out my ram (PC100, CL=3), but it's running at 100 thanks to the ASUS P3V4X, even though the CPU is using a FSB of 133. Though I'm planning on getting some good PC133 CL=2 ram soon.

I'm not a computer "newbie" at all, but haven't yet dealt with a peltier, so if anyone has any good sites with hints, tricks, etc. please let me know...

Thanks,

Charles
          A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Pehaps I should have said i820esque.

70-75c is too hot.
            Something is wrong.
            I think thats about what intel has as the max operating temp for your cpu.

Check that your hs goop hasn't dried out
            and/or the hs is cattywampus and not making full contact with the cpu.

chuck

Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'm using one of these Global Win coolers on my CPU:
              http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/2/106.htm?764

I cleaned up the CPU after I took the "Retail" heatsink off, then applied some of the included thermal compound (very thin coating) and then installed this guy. I used the retention mechanism as the instructions indicated. I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong!

I can double check the readings in the BIOS monitoring just in case Windows 98 is getting (ASUS PC Probe 2.11 I think) bad info or something.

HELP?!?!?

Charles

Comment

Are you sure Probe isn't set to show degrees F ?
                That would be more like it.
                70-75 just above room temp, 95 just warm.
                chuck

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 02 June 2000).]
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

It was showing both C and F degrees, and the lower of the two was in the 70-75 degrees C range.

All I can figure is that I need to yank it all out and clean off all the thermal goop and put some other stuff on it. I've got somethat came from an electronics store that I'll try...

Charles

Comment

I have a P!!!450 @ 558 with a normal size heatsink/fan that performs slightly better than the original Intel one (I know - I tested both of them).

My operating temperatures at 558 MHz are 60 C for the CPU and 30 C for the MB. If I stop SETI the CPU temp. drops to about 42 C.

I accidentally ran the CPU without proper thermal paste connection once when I changed the heatsink/fan. That made it run at about 90 C without any load at all (other than starting up Win98).

Comment

Kruse: What brand of motherboard is that? I'm wondering if my new ASUS P3V4X has screwed up hardware monitoring or something. Given the type of cooler I'm using, I should be running as cool as you if not cooler, especially at 450!

Maybe the thermal paste stuff that came with the cooler is total crap. I'm tempted to run by the electronics store on the way home to see if they have a thermal probe for my Fluke DVM in stock...but they may close before I can get there. That would clear up the issue of faulty hardware monitoring. At the minimum, I'll try some other thermal paste.

How thick or think of a layer for thermal past should I be applying? Maybe I just didn't put enough on. Can anybody point me to a web site that has pictures of the proper application?

Thanks for the ongoing help.

Charles

Comment

Hi Steve,

maybe the instructions that SETI polls from your CPU are located in a certain area of the die that is not as good cooled as the rest of it ?

Have a look at your temps and try CPU Idle with settings of highest priority when reaching a certain temp.

Cheers,
                        Maggi
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Hi Maggeroni

My CPU is a flip-chip PIII and from what testing I've done, is being cooled quite well - hovers around 30 degC. Suppose it could also be my memory is being flakey at over 100Mhz... time to get PC133 ram methinks.

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

CharlesWA

I recently was involved in a thread all about the Asus P3V4X cpu temp measuring.
                            Alot of people have had it happen to them to ,but for different reasons ,check the thread out ,should give you some ideas .
                            http://anandforums.gisystech.com/mes...hreadid=175559

>>>>Can anybody point me to a web site that has pictures of the proper application?<<<<

Yep! ,here it is.....
                            http://www.agnhardware.com/hardwares....cfm?revid=253

Hope this helps

------------------
                            I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA
                            Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                            2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Working...
                            X