Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance hit when "-verbose" option is used???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance hit when "-verbose" option is used???

Has anybody done any testing to see if using the "-verbose" option slows down SETI? It doesn't seem like it'd require much to spit out the progress to the DOS box (especially compared to the screen saver's display) but you never know...

Charles
    A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

I doubt that the text output would take much cpu time at all.But I haven't measured it
    Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
    2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Assimilator1:
      I hope you're right cause I'm running with "-verbose"...

I'll have to test to do some WU without "-verbose", hope the result of this will be significant so we can make some relevant conclusions!

/Daniel

Comment

Better copy a wu and do the same one twice, once with and once without the verbose option. No two WUs are the same.

Comment

Brian R.
          Yes that's the way to do it, but my computer is not dedicated to run SETI....

Maybe someone with a dedicated computer will have better results (higher significance)

/Daniel

Comment

I'd heard that there was a benchmark WU on some site (TA Assim?) but haven't looked - it lets you compare across the net but I was wondering if it could be a small unit - to save on benching time and put more to the main effort! Does anybody have any info on this?

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace,
              I think the benchmark unit is at ARS Technica(Team Lambchop). http://www.teamlambchop.com

Jan

Comment

JMS

That's right

------------------
                I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA
                Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

As for the bench-unit, it's a little faster, since it doesn't have Gaussian.
                  I will guess 30 min. shorter then normal time is 8 hours.

Comment

I don't like the idea of losing 16 hoers of crunching time just for this test and not being able to use my computer while testing, even if it will give me accurate times.

And to get statistical significant results you have to repeat the same WU several times, that means that I'll lose more than 16 hours just for this test!!!

/Daniel

---------------------
                    Why am I drunk again?

Comment

Working...
                    X